Mile

Man held onto me tightly and kissed the side of my head in comfort. I snuggled into his hold, finally letting go of my inhibitions. I pulled away a little while later sitting down with him and filling him on all of the details.

Both our girls were faithfully keeping watch by Sister Nan. A couple of hours later, Sister Nan finally stirred awake. That sparked another round of tears from all of us, though it was more of relief than anything else.

We took turns the entire week, looking after Sister Nan and also heading home to look after Ellie and Sasha. Sister Nan finally came home on a Saturday, and we were all sitting down, enjoying some fruits when Sasha and Ellie came and handed me a white envelope, insisting that I opened it with Man.

We were tickled by their secrecy but also curious and opened it, only to see a hotel staycation voucher. I looked at both girls confused.

"It's for you and Daddy. We want you to take a break. Sister Nan paid for it. Ellie and I paid 10 dollars each for it from our savings." Sasha quipped excitedly. My eyes pooled at this, but before I could nag at Sister Nan, Man had stood up, strode over to her, and hugged her tightly, nagging at her softly.

I looked at our two girls and wagged my finger at them, nagging at them, too. Sasha smiled and bounded up, allowing me to engulf her in a hug. She then looked at me and leaned in to whisper, "I wish my Daddy had met you instead of my papa. You make him so happy."

I looked at her, just smiling but finding myself unable to find the courage to ask her if it was OK to be with her father. I just nodded, being quiet. But then I heard Ellie speak up.

"Sasha, what do you think of our daddies being with each other? Like you can call my papa daddy and I can call yours papa?"

There was this deathly silence for a bit as Sasha pondered the depth of Ellie's words. I looked st Ellie and glared at her, but she just stuck her tongue out at me and nestled into Man for support. He held onto her but looked at me in amusement and somewhat of fear. I could tell Ellie really didn't mind us being together, but Sasha, her thoughts were important too.

A little while later, Sasha looked at Man and asked if he'd would like that. Man didn't know how to respond and just looked at her blankly. She sighed and asked again, and finally, he nodded yes. She looked at me and asked me the same question.

All I told her was, "More than us, your feelings matter the most. There is no way in hell I would want to see you hurt again. That's all."

Sasha smiled at me. She finally muttered, "But to me, Daddy's happiness is important. I haven't seen him smile like this in so so long. And he smiles like that around you. If he is happy, I'm happy too. Sounds like he and you being together like Papa and Daddy is a good idea."

Know how when an unspeakable joy just courses through you? That's how I felt at that very moment. Ellie's cheering, Man's cheesy ass grin and Sister Nan's whooping in the background, all of it didn't matter. All that mattered was, I grabbed Sasha in a hug, and I whispered, "Call me Papa, dear."

And Sasha's reply was so worth it. I always thought Man finally admitting his feelings or me confessing would be the highlight of our relationship, but I just realized this 7 year old calling me Papa triumphed it all.

I had 2 daughters now along with one man who all loved me as much as I did them. And nothing could even come close.