Chapter 11: The Heiress

An alarm woke Elaine. She rubbed her eyes as the Child cooed in her lap, and Mando fiddled with the controls. "Looks like we made it." He said. "Get ready for landing."

He pressed a few more buttons, but nothing happened. "Dank farrik!" He cursed. "The landing array isn't responding. Without the guidance system, it'll be a manual re-entry. It might get choppy." He pressed more buttons as he spoke. "Once we're through the atmosphere, there should be enough fuel to slow down. If we don't burn to a crisp."

More alarms blared, and Elaine wished she could cover her ears, but she held tight to the Child. Mando had the frog lady hold back a lever so he could land the ship. A flight control agent tried to get ahold of them.

"Razor Crest, this is Trask flight control. Please reduce your speed to Port control."

"I'm trying my best her." Mando grunted. "Engage reverse thrusters. Brace! Hold on."

"Razor Crest, do you copy? You have to reduce speed."

Elaine gripped her seat tightly with one hand. "Almost there, almost there." Mando muttered.

"Razor Crest, do you copy? Razor Crest you're coming in too fast. You have to re–" Mando turned off the comms.

"Here we go." Mando said as he managed to land the Crest. "Nice and easy." But it was not.

One of the engines turned off, sending the Crest into the bay.

~~~~~

Elaine bit her lip as the Crest was fished from the bay. A dockworker walked up to Mando. "So, how can I help you?"

"Can you fix it?" Mando asked.

The Mon Calamari shook his head. "Fix it? Nah. But I can make it fly."

Mando handed him some credits. "Do what you can."

The Mon Calamari nodded. "I'll fuel it up. If it still holds fuel."

Elaine heard a croaking behind her, and she turned to see a frog man. The frog lady ran to him, and the two embraced. The Child cooed unhappily, and Elaine felt her stomach growl. It seemed Mando heard it too. "I know you're hungry." He said. "We'll get something to eat."

The frog man walked over to Mando, shaking his hand gratefully. Mando nodded. "You're welcome. I was told you could lead me to others of my kind."

The frog man nodded. He pointed to an inn not far from where they stood. "The inn?" Mando asked. "Over there?" The frog man nodded, and Mando took Elaine's hand. "Thank you."

The trio walked into the inn, taking a seat in the rear of the room. A waiter walked over. "What can I get you?" He asked.

"Nothing for me." Mando said. "A bowl of chowder for the kids."

"These seats a scarce, buddy." The waiter told him as he set down the food. "Everyone seated needs to eat."

Mando set credits down on the table. "I can buy something else. Information. Have you see others who look like me?"

The waiter hesitated before nodding. "Others with beskar have been through here."

"Who can take me to them?"

"I know someone who might help." The waiter walked away, heading over to some fishermen at the bar. Elaine looked down at her bowl of chowder, she swore she saw something move. She heard a squeal, and looked up to see the Child with a small squid stuck to his face. Mando simply stabbed it lightly, and the creature fell back into the bowl. "Don't play with your food."