Chapter 15 (Faina): Spare Your Life

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

At breakfast that morning, I pushed the food around on my plate, feeling the eyes of both Aullana and my mother on me. Once again, my father had gone to court early since Lord Alarie had called another pre-court meeting.

"I'm fine," I assured them without looking up, then forced a bite of food past my lips.

"Faina." My mother stopped, probably realizing there was nothing she could say. Today, my divorce would be granted and sometime after, Alaric's trial would begin and then he would have a sentence passed for going so long without blood. Four times.

"Maman, there is no motherly wisdom that can change today. Please don't feel you have to try. That's not your burden."

"Your father wants you prepared. Immediately after your divorce and the penalties are imposed today, Alaric's judgment will be handed down for the blood deprivation."

That startling news brought my eyes to her. "There hasn't even been a trial."

My mother's face was so gentle, so concerned for me. "Darling, Alaric didn't contest the accusations. He waived a trial."

"Why would he do that? He's entitled --"

"So you wouldn't have to endure another trial."

I pressed my hands on the babies, the urge to weep overwhelming. "Daylin should be the one on trial for calling forth the Hunger the way she did. She was always nasty to me, all through school, but she's sunk to new lows, even for her."

"She was jealous that our family name was older, more respected, wealthier than the Vautours," my mother said knowingly. She remembered all of the days I came home from school bitterly complaining of yet another horrible thing Daylin had said or done to me. 

"She always wanted whatever you had, and her father has long been at odds with your father for the same reasons. There is talk that her job at Archambeau was the only thing keeping her family from declaring bankruptcy."

"And Alaric got her fired," Aullana said, smiling widely. I didn't entirely trust that smile.

"Given that one of her uncles and grandfather both sit on Archambeau's Board of Directors, I'm not certain how Alaric got a unanimous vote to remove her," my mother mused.

I knew how. There was no stopping Alaric when he was bent on getting his way. He'd won my heart with the same single minded determination and boldness that was as much a part of him as his Hunger. Very simply, there was no man like him.

I'd been talking with two men at a party, when a large hand reached between the men and drew me away from them. The men didn't say a word to this man who was pulling me away, and the look this stranger threw them was pure contempt.

After three steps, my shock subsided and I stopped walking. "Excuse me," I said coolly. "I was in the middle of a conversation."

"And now you're not. I'm taking you somewhere that we can talk. Privately."

"Do I know you?" I was beginning to wonder if his daring and familiarity was based on a previous acquaintance I'd somehow forgotten. But I would remember this man had I met him before. No one could forget him.

"You will know me," he promised.

"So far, I'm less than impressed."

His eyes burned, and I noticed them change. Red.

"You will be," he promised me with an arrogance I would come to know. And love. Then he continued with those immortal words of our people, his eyes focused on mine.