(14) The Jealousy of The Young Lord.

"........,"

"I just..."

My voice trailed off, the unspoken words tangled with the knot of worry tightening in my gut.

How could I explain my presence without painting a target on my back?

Derrick arched an eyebrow, skepticism etched across his face as he crossed his arms.

"Then why the lies?"

He pressed, his tone leaving no room for argument.

The truth tumbled out before I could stop it.

"Because I care about Penelope,"

I blurted, the urgency of the situation overriding my caution.

"I don't want anything bad to happen to her."

Derrick's brow furrowed deeply at my sudden confession, and a flicker of something… unexpected… crossed his eyes before his interest level decreased.

[Interest 25%]

"........,"

╔. ■ .═══════╗

╚═══════

╚═══════. ■ .╝

"........,"

"Fine, whatever,"

He muttered with a dismissive wave of his hand, though his voice lacked its usual conviction.

"Just remember, (Y/N), next time, keep your nose out of matters that don't directly concern you."

He turned away, pacing restlessly across the room, his boots echoing a heavy rhythm against the marble floor.

'Is he... jealous?'

The thought flickered across my mind, but I dismissed it as quickly as it came.

There's no way someone like Derrick would feel anything remotely resembling jealousy over something as trivial as this.

Right?

Reynold watched the exchange between Derrick and me with a wary frown, running a hand through his hair in agitation.

"Alright, let's shelve this conversation for now,"

He interjected, glancing briefly at his older brother.

Leaning forward, he propped his elbows on his knees and studied me with an intensity that made me squirm. 

"So, (Y/N),"

He began, changing the subject abruptly.

"What brings you here unannounced? You're not exactly known for visits, especially without sending word ahead."