Do you think we would have made it right...you and me?

Isaac stood at the hot chocolate stand in the park, the warm sun casting a golden hue over everything around him. As he waited for his order, he felt a sudden collision against his leg, prompting him to look down in surprise. There, on the ground, was a black-haired boy, his hazel eyes brimming with tears as he grabbed his head.

"Hey there, are you okay?" His voice was gentle as he crouched down to the boy's level, concern etched on his face. "Does anything hurt?"

The boy pouted and pointed to his head. "Hurts here," he whimpered.

He glanced around the park, searching for any sign of the boy's mother, but found no one nearby. Turning his attention back to the boy, he offered a comforting smile. "What's your name?"

"Kyle," came the soft reply, accompanied by a sniffle.

"That's a cool name. I'm Isaac," he introduced himself with a warm smile. "Is your mom here with you? Should we go find her?"

Before Kyle could answer, a frantic voice pierced through the air, calling out the boy's name. Isaac turned to see a black-haired woman rushing towards them, her expression wrought with worry.

"KYLE ANDREW PARKER, I TOLD YOU TO WAIT FOR ME!" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with both relief and scolding.

His eyes widened in surprise as he recognized the woman. "Emily," he murmured, surprised to see her after so many years.

The woman halted in her tracks, her eyes widening in astonishment as she took in the sight before her. "Isaac," she breathed, her voice filled with a mixture of emotions.

For a moment, they stood there in silence, the weight of their shared history hanging in the air between them. It was Kyle who broke the moment, reaching out to his mother with a small hand and drawing her attention back to him.

"Mom, do you know each other?" he asked innocently, his eyes darting between them with curiosity.

"I, uh, Isaac is..."

"A friend of your mother's."

A bright smile lit up the boy's face, his hazel eyes sparkling with newfound excitement. "Does that mean we're friends too?"

Isaac chuckled, ruffling the boy's hair affectionately. "Of course, buddy. Would you like some hot chocolate?"

"Isaac, you don't have to..."

"Don't worry, it's my treat. Besides, it's the perfect opportunity for us to catch up."

They sat side by side on a weathered bench, their eyes fixed on Kyle as he giggled and chased after a group of pigeons. "How old is he already?"

"He's about to turn four. It feels like just yesterday he was a tiny baby in my arms." Emily replied, her voice tinged with a mixture of pride and nostalgia. "Why are you doing this, Isaac? You should hate me."

"I never hated you. Was I upset? Sure. But hate is a waste of energy, if you ask me."

"I'm sorry. I never had the chance to apologize for the hell I put you through. You were a wonderful boyfriend, and I didn't know how to appreciate it at the time."

"We all make mistakes," Isaac offered with a gentle smile, nudging her shoulder playfully. "The important thing is that you've realized yours. You should forgive yourself. I have."

"I'll try."

"What about Kyle's father?"

"He's not in the picture. I'm a single mother," she confessed with a sigh, her shoulders slumping slightly. "It can be pretty stressful sometimes, balancing school, work, and everything else. But seeing my son's smile makes it all worth it."