22

Russel and Judy sat cozily on the couch, engrossed in the movie playing on the television, when the unexpected sound of the doorbell pierced the quiet evening. They exchanged puzzled glances; their daughter had left for Santana's house to prepare for Prom and wouldn't return until the next day. They couldn't fathom who might be knocking on their door at this hour.

The man rose from the couch with a curious expression, making his way to the door. With a quick glance through the peephole, he saw Isaac standing on the doorstep, a sight that never failed to bring a smile to his face. Opening the door, he welcomed the young man inside, gesturing for him to enter.

"Isaac, son, come in. Honestly, we weren't expecting you," Russel greeted warmly as he closed the door behind them, leading the boy into the living room where his wife sat, her eyes bright with curiosity.

"Isaac, darling, how lovely to see you," Judy exclaimed, rising from the couch to greet him with kisses on each cheek. "You look absolutely handsome."

"Thank you," Isaac replied with a gracious smile, taking a nearby chair and positioning himself in front of the couple. "I'm here because I want to ask you for something—well, more like permission to do something," he began, his voice betraying a hint of nervousness. Delicately reaching into his jacket pocket, he withdrew a small velvet box and placed it reverently on the coffee table before them. With a gentle flick of his fingers, he revealed the contents—a delicate ring adorned with a small diamond. "I wanted to ask for your blessing to marry Quinn."

Judy gasped in surprise, her hands flying to her mouth as tears welled up in her eyes, overwhelmed by the unexpected request. Russel, however, regarded him with a furrowed brow, his expression serious as he considered the young man's proposal.

"Now? Aren't you both very young? You're about to start university."

"Well, not right now," Isaac began, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment, "but in the future. I love Quinn—she's the woman I want to marry, the one I want to build a life with, and the mother of the children we'll have together." With each word, his eyes shimmered with an unmistakable sincerity and devotion. "She's the love of my life—funny, beautiful, and incredibly intelligent. I've prayed countless nights to find someone like her, and now that I have, I won't let her slip away. I may not know what the future holds in ten years, but one thing I'm certain of is Quinn. There's no scenario in which I don't see myself by her side. Sure, there might be millions of guys who seem more deserving, but I'm selfish—I can't imagine her with anyone but me. So, every day, I'll strive to be the man she deserves. I-"

"You already are," Russell interjected, his tone firm yet gentle. "If there's anyone who deserves her, it's you, Isaac. I never properly thanked you, you know?"

"Thank me? For what?"

"I remember the first time Quinn came home from school, gushing about this funny, cute boy who loved to skate.I hadn't seen her smile like that in a long time. She lit up whenever she spoke about you."

"Whenever she was with you,she radiated happiness," Judy added, a fond smile gracing his lips. "You brought so much joy to our daughter's life, Isaac."

"But...Everything that happened afterward, I-"

"It wasn't your fault," the man interjected, his gaze softening with understanding. "We should have seen what was happening to her. You did everything you could."

"Russ is right and your accident, losing your memory—none of that was your fault. We can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must have been for you."

"You'll take care of her, won't you? She's my baby girl," Russell's voice carried a mixture of apprehension and concern, his paternal instincts shining through. "She deserves nothing but the best."