Chapter 1 - A New Start

Chapter 1- A New Start

The sky is black. It is a cold miserable night. Mist swirls around every corner. The moon had risen to its place in the blackening sky. The air is damp with rain. The animals all have fled to their homes. The streets are silent. Lightning strikes bright outside my window. Thunder roars. Ice covers all the windows and the road. Everything turns into darkness as I close my eyes. The world waits.

***

Curled up in a ball, I poke my toe out from under my warm covers. It is freezing. I ignored the fact that I have to get up for college. Persistently the alarm keeps beeping. I know I have to get up for college otherwise I will be late which would not be good for my first day of college. I have got tired of my alarm and with a sigh I get up. I get changed in a hurry. I get this horrible feel in my gut. I'm shaking all over with nerves however head off to college in a hurry.

***

As I walk through the doors, a sea of unfamiliar faces greets me. I hate being the new girl. I walk to the reception and I receive my timetable for the year. As I walk into my new class, which is horticulture, everyone turns to stare at me. My face flushes bright red with heat. I sit down next to a girl who has dark green hair that looks brown until it is in the sunlight. She moves her chair to the other end of the desk to get away from me as much as possible As Mr Boardman goes down the register and I find out that the girls name is Holly Redwood. “Phoebe, kindly come and introduces yourself to the class,” Mr Boardman instructs. I walk up to the front of the class with a sigh; I hate this. At the front of the class I turn and look at them and say “I’m Phoebe, I was born in Manhattan. My parents are ambassadors and I have no brothers or sisters.”

One girl exclaims “What do you like to do outside of college?”

“I like to study the four elements” Holly’s eyes shoots up and she looks surprised. She smiles at me. The class drags and every once in a while people turn in there seats and whisper something about me to the person they sit next to. I wish this day would just hurry up already. I listen to the teacher an not look at the other students, “we will be outside next lesson, we will be learning whilst we are out there about the different types of trees living in our area,” oh great. I let the teachers voice drown on while I doodle in my book. The bell rings and I gladly gather up my belongings and head for my locker. Its free period now so I have a full hour to kill; I have only been here for an hour so I have nothing to study. I stand in front of my blue locker, what the hell is my combination for this thing? Out the corner of my eye I see that Holly is talking to a guy with black hair that has dark red strips that I didn't see until the sunlight caught them.She whispers something to him and they look straight at me. My face burns hot; just make it obvious that your talking about me. Holly starts to walk towards me. I spin random numbers in to my dial and it unlocks. I hear harsh whispering behind me and when I turn to look there is a girl with bright blue hair next to a guy with white hair with blonde strips, what the hell is up with people having weird hair? Is it natural?. I turn back to my locker and I step closer to it to hide my face. I hear Holly footsteps getting closer to me. Suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder and when I turn the girl with the bright blue hair is there “hi,” she says in a friendly tone, I blink at her in surprise “hi?”

“I'm Nymph and I know you're new and you probably don't have any friends yet, so would you like to sit with me at lunch?” I giggle; can this be that easy to make friends?

“Yes, thank you!” I shut my locker and I walk back with Nymph to the guy with the weird hair. He looks me up and down and gives me a mucky look and storms off. I look at Nymph. “Don't worry about him, he is stubborn,” I just nod my head and watch him walk through the door and disappear. We stand there in silence. I look back to Holly and I meet the gazes of Holly and the other guy, Holly flips her hair and they storm off in the other direction. I look back towards Nymph, “let's get out of here, show me what there is to do around here.”