0 5

CHAPTER FIVE

✩ ✩ ✩

Locked was she inside of a ridiculously extravagant room within the Justice Building of District Four. Such luscious detail was evident in the design of such a waiting room fit for an expensive Capitolite.

A grandiose fireplace rested comfortably against the wall to her left, burning away logs of kindling which crackled with a mocking tone and threw sparks against the brickwork which encased it.

Above such a fireplace hung a rather ominous painting of the President Snow. Fine brushwork highlighted the great age in his colourless face and an ever detailed artist had painted individual strands of hair upon his head.

The psychopaths beady little blue eyes followed her around the entirety of the room as though recording her every move. Unnerving her, she attempted to hide from his watching gaze, however, there was no place within such a room that would protect her from his view.

Two opulent wingback chairs resided under a vast window, made were they of the most eloquent materials found inside the borders of Panem. Embroidery was carefully detailed into the chairs, golden thread pictured beautifully magnificent floral scenes. There was no doubt in Odelya's mind that such thread was of the uppermost value, most likely worth more than the entirety of her dead parent's fortune.

Said window of which glistened light onto the chairs adorned the wall above, reflecting a picturesque view. Odelya could see the uppermost heads of fishing huts and homes which rejoiced the welfare of their children for another year.

Beyond such celebratory buildings, was a mere line of blue which she recognised to be her beloved ocean. Oh, what she would give to be amongst the waves at this very moment - drowning in them seemed an odd comfort but one much more appealing than the fate erected for her on that dreaded pink slip.

If she closed her eyes, she could almost feel the sea breeze, whipping softly against her face - and she could feel the hem of her black dress being soaked by a harmless ocean which she hoped, in some shape or form, to one day be reunited with.

District Four buried their dead at sea. So at least there was some cruel comfort in knowing she would lay amongst the waves once again.

A creaking mahogany door signalled her out of her subconscious thoughts and she swivelled around from gazing out of the window to notice that her brother had joined her in the room.

A breath of relief escaped from her throat as she saw Reign and quickly did she leap across the room to encase him in the tightest of hugs.

Sobs racked the younger boys body as he clung to Odelya, it were as if his soul were bleeding through his eyes. He shook mercilessly, drenching the material on her dress where he rested his head on her shoulder.

"Please don't leave me," He choked out painfully, breaking Odelya's heart.

"I'm so sorry, Reign."

"You can't leave me," He denied, shaking his head on the crook of her neck, "You just can't."

She whispered sweet nothings to comfort him, but nothing seemed to work as his pain soared through the clouds. Guilt clouded Odelya's vision, as she thought of any such way that she could avoid abandoning her brother - but no thought that would not result of them both being forced off of the pier came to mind.

"I love you so much Reign," she murmured softly, "Please don't ever forget that."

"Please don't die."

Odelya remembered saying those same exact words to Melody and Orion when she bid farewell to them before their games. What chances were there that the same outcome would not occur?

Picking his head off from her shoulders to look at him properly, she cupped his face in her hands and urged him to listen ever so carefully to her words.

"Reign, please do not dwell on what happens," His shaking head tried to interrupt her, but she wouldn't let him, if she stopped now she probably would not find the strength to continue.

"You have to find strength, my boy. Make sure to eat all your meals, and to get to work on time. You are not to steal any fish, it's not worth the risk - but make sure not to take out tesserae. You have Papa's fishing boat, take it after hours and eat everything you catch. Do you understand."

Reign nodded silently.

"And there's one more thing I need you to promise me..."

"Don't make me promise anything, please," He cried desperately.

"Promise me... promise me you won't watch if I die."

Poor Reign collapsed in her arms, he was a broken boy clinging to his last lifeline. The last safety he had remaining, the last ray of hope in his world was fast diminishing.

At the sight, Odelya almost crumpled into little pieces, she could not just desert him in such a fashion. A recurring thought filled her head: she had to win. The odds were not in her favour, but something may turn the tides. And if anyone could seduce the Capitol in a way that would cement her victory, it would be Odelya Castellan.

However, before Reign could promise Odelya her final parting wish, a Peacekeeper came and dragged the ever sobbing boy forcefully from the room.

His cries turned into screams and despite them fading so slowly away, Odelya didn't think she would ever forget the pain which fuelled his every breath - since he was now all alone.

✩ ✩ ✩

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.