3 2

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

✩ ✩ ✩

As she awoke from her forced slumber, a deeply unnatural light invaded her vision which unsettled her terribly for unbeknownst reasons. Odelya had been stolen from the arena and forced into a medical facility guarded by Peacekeepers.

As she suspected, her madness in the final days of the Games had frightened the Capitol deeply, for it did not match with her previous personality. For such reasons, Odelya was strapped down to a hospital bed. Shackled like a prisoner in a foreign world, Odelya noticed a hunched figure sat on the chair at her bedside.

Oh, how was Mags a sight for sore eyes.

Unable to speak her condolences for Odelya's losses, Mags tottered to her side and delicately placed her hand over Odelya's bandaged one, for it had been injured whilst she was fighting off the Peacekeepers who dragged her from Blaise's mangled corpse.

Tears streamed down Odelya's face and despite her continued anger at her sun for the role he played in Apollo's death, her was truly the only person of whom could possibly soothe her sorrow.

However, with the prospect of upsetting Mags from asking of Finnick's whereabouts and potentially acting ungrateful towards the elderly mentors presence. Odelya held her tongue and let herself be comforted by a grandmothers warm embrace.

Not since the passing of Melody had Odelya been so consoled by a maternal figure and how sweet it was. However, such a darling moment was abruptly interrupted such a heartwarming moment in the midst of darkness which shrouded Odelya's existence, Finnick entered the room so quickly it was as though he had read his beloved mermaid's mind.

"My Dely," He breathed, "You're awake."

Mags smiled and pulled back from the embrace, which left Odelya with a sinking feeling in her stomach, she gave her a gentle kiss of the forehead before hobbling out of the room and assumably back to her quarters.

However, Finnick's introduction was no longer welcome in Odelya's heart, for the first thing of which she noticed upon his arrival were the lipstick stains on his collar and the bruises which lay uncomfortably upon his neck.

For such reasons, Odelya became immediately aware as to the here he had been beside at he bedside.

"Where have you been?" Odelya asked, her eyes directed to Finnick's greatest source of shame in that moment.

Promptly, Finnick rose his hand to cover his neck as if to protect Odelya from the horrors of which were ever so severely present underneath.

"My darling Mermaid," He spoke softly, approaching her, "I have been here with you, waiting every second with bated breath at your beside for you to awake. I was forced to step out for a moment."

"How convenient," Odelya mumbled, with such seeded anger that words could barely escape her, "I should have listened to Apollo when I had the chance. Finnick Odair will always be much too busy with his Capitol whores to truly be there for his tributes."

"Mermaid," Finnick started but once again he was interrupted by her deep seated anger.

"Don't fucking call me that," Odelya's tears had returned and they ran down her face as though needing to escape from her tortured mind, "You don't mean it."

"Of course I do," Finnick was sat on the edge of her bed now, attempting to grasp one of her shackled hands but to no avail, "My Dely, I have longed for your return these past twelve days."

"If should not have been me of whom got to return," Odelya cried, "You and I both know it should have been little Florence and with her death at least Apollo should have been able to come home."

"My Dely... Apollo wanted to die. Him and Melody are dancing in the sky now, they will be eternally together. His death was for the best."

"Just because he wanted to die doesn't mean you should just hand him the noose," Odelya fumed, "You were of no help to him in his final hours, you may as well have killed him yourself."

"I was just protecting you, my Mermaid," Finnick teared up, "His good health would not have guaranteed your safe return to my loving arms."

"He was my brother," Odelya sobbed, "And you let him die."

"Reign's your brother and I kept you alive long enough to see him again."

"You did fuck all," Odelya said simply, "Nothing at all. In twelve days you managed to drag yourself out of various bedrooms to send me help once. And whilst your note was of great solace to me during those dreadful days, I did it all, I got myself out and for what. To live with the fact that my brothers and sisters are at the ocean's floor just so I can see Reign again. And you haven't even the common decency to be here when I wake up.

"I don't see you furious at Mags for not helping, she is as much your mentor as I."

"Mags never had the same obligation to me as you do... you were supposed to be my friend."

"My Mermaid, I am forever sorry and for the rest of my existence should I attempt to make it up to you. Odelya, you know how much I love you."

"Do I?"

Finnick cradled her head in his hands and despite her continued fury, she let him for it was a second of sweet comfort for her as the words she never even had nightmares of speaking escaped her lips.

"Goodbye, Finnick."

Perhaps the most heartbreaking thing in that moment was that she called him Finnick, rather than my Sunshine or my Sun.

But as he loved her so deeply, Finnick complied to her wishes and left a sobbing Odelya alone, once again.

✩ ✩ ✩

So this chapter broke me in so many horrible ways. And I hate to admit that baby Odelya will be angry for a long time and she has every right to be. Poor girl is traumatised in so many ways and her person wasn't even of any help to her.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.