Social Casualty

Angel's POV

"And that is how baby narwhals are made and born into this world," Dalton finished explaining. "Oh nice," I say. And then I saw something that irritated me instantly. I saw three jocks that could only be known as Jordan, Gabe, and Dana. They had Cole, one of my best friends (besides Dalton that I've known since first grade when I moved here) pushed against some lockers. "Hey! What in the hell do you think you're doing?!" I yelled running towards them and Dalton follows closely with his fist clenched. Once we're over by them, the three bullies look at me and Dalton and laugh. "Hahaha really Cole? These are your heroes, a shortie and a walking freak show?" Jordan says nearly laughing himself to death. "Just because I'm short doesn't mean I can't kick your ass," I say. Then a girl my age with dark brown hair walks over and says,"Do you remember the little incident that happened at the party a couple weeks ago?" They nod. "Well if you don't leave these people alone, I will tell everyone what happened and show them the pictures. We wouldn't want that now, would we?" she threatens. They let out a low growl and walk away.

"Th-th-thank you, I know these two could've handled it, but the way, no offense guys, it wasn't going to end w-well," Cole says blushing slightly. "Yeah thanks Maddy," Dalton says leaning against the lockers. "Umm well would you like to join us for lunch? It would only be right, since you helped us," I asked quietly. "YES!" she yelled, but quickly covering her mouth. We just laugh at her eagerness. "Well then let's go to lunch," Dalton says with a surprised look on his face.

In the cafeteria, we run to the line so we can get the freshest food. After paying we head to our usual table and take our seats. We're half way through with our lunches when we were approached. My eyes locked with the tall boy/man who was standing at the table with a girl at his side. I called him a boy/man because he's not really both. "Are these seats taken?" the girl asks. Dalton stares at her with a grin on his face and a gleam in his eyes. "No, but they are now by a beautiful girl," Dalton says as he pats the spot next to him indicating for her to sit. The boy/man sits next to me and says with a smile,"I'm Will, I think we actually have a couple classes together." I look at him and my heart kinda drops and flutters at the same time. "I'm Angel," I say shyly. "I'm Cole" "I'm Dalton," they say. "Wait how come we haven't met until now then if we have classes together?" Cole asks folding his hands. "Because 1) different social status and 2) because rejection, and by the way my name is Jayden or Jay," she says. Dalton, Cole, and I look at each other and bust out laughing. "Are fucking kidding me? Since when does social status matter to a bunch of drama geeks? And do we seriously look like we'd reject someone just because they're smart?" Dalton asks laughing. "Well no," Will says looking down. "Then you could've said hi, we aren't piranhas," Cole explained. "I'm a piranha, I live in the Amazon," Jayden and I say in unison. We gasp looking at each other and laugh.