Chapter 6: So Close, But So Far

September 30th, 8:30 pm

Luz lays on her bed rereading the Origami Yoda series, because why not, when she hears her parents call her name. She quickly marks her place in the book before tossing it on the bed and running out of her room and into the living room.

"Hey. Did you guys call me?" She asks. As much as she may think she heard them, her mind plays that trick on her all the time. Especially when she's wearing headphones.

Raine nods. "Yup. Come take a seat." They say, patting the spot next to them on the couch. Luz hesitates before taking a seat. After a few seconds, she pipes up. "Am I in trouble?"

Raine looks at her, bewildered. "What? Why would you be?" they ask. Luz shrugs. "I dunno. You called me in here and now you're sitting there all calm."

Eda chuckles. "Suspicious of adults. We raised her well."

Luz snickers. "So, if I'm not in trouble, what did you guys want to talk about?" she asks. Eda sighs. "I'm not gonna beat around the bush. Your birthday is next weekend. Any idea what you want to do?"

Luz was confused. "Um... aren't we just going to do what we usually do? Tacos and cake?" she asks. "If that's what you want." Eda says. "We thought you might want to invite your friends over, since it's your 18th."

Ah, yes, the big 1-8.

Luz thinks for a moment. "Wait, does that mean I can have a sleepover?" she asks. Eda and Raine look at each other. "I mean..." Eda shifts in her seat, crossing her legs.

"If that's what you want. It's your day, after all." Raine finishes, before Eda could say no like they all knew she wanted to. Luz smiles, hugging her parents tightly. "You guys are the best!"

The two parents hug her back. Eda sighs. "Alright, alright. Go do whatever you gotta do." Luz quickly pulls away from the hug, "Thanks again guys." she then runs back to her room.

"And don't stay up all night reading!" Raine yells after her.

"No promises!"

Luz quickly shuts her door, running to her backpack and grabbing her pencil case. She then goes to her desk and grabs a few blank pieces of paper from a sketchbook, grabbing one of her favorite glitter pens to draw invitations for her friends. After finishing Willow's and Gus's, she stares at the third paper, struggling to think of what to do for Amity.

'It should be simple, right? I mean, Willow and Gus were easy. Just a date and a time. Why is this so hard?'

She leans back in her chair, glancing at the white box poking out of her backpack. As curious as she is, she can't bring herself to open it and see what's inside.

'Because it's Amity. The invitation has to be perfect, like her.'

Luz sighs and looks up at the ceiling.

'I want her to have fun too. She's had enough heartache this year.'

As much as she knew it was probably inappropriate, Luz couldn't keep herself from asking about Amity's breakup. But, to keep the Blight from constantly reliving the heartache, she would ask Willow about the small details. But the bigger things, such as how long they were together and how they fell in love, she'd ask Amity herself. She always felt bad for asking, but Amity never gave her a hard time. In a strange way, Luz almost felt like it relieved Amity to be asked about it.

Luz looks back down at the paper, getting no ideas. Out of frustration, she grabs her absolute favorite glitter pen. She writes the words 'You're invited' at the top of the paper. She continues to write down the details before an idea finally comes to her. She quickly works to execute it before getting ready for bed, excited for school the next day.