We're Best Friends

2013

I didn't know why I came here. Sara had convinced me in joining her and her friends in attending Finn's gaming night. I've never seen anything like it. Finn had a small attachment to his parent's house which was just Finn's. I think it was an old garage but they took the door away and bricked it up and placed a window, converting it into something like a small flat.

He had a small living room with a corner sofa and a large TV connected to his Xbox. He didn't have a kitchen, so I guess he just went into his house when he needed food and drink, but he did have a medium sized mini fridge which contained drinks and snacks. He also had his own small bathroom containing a shower and toilet. I was slightly jealous of the space and that it was all for him, no one else. On the other side of the room was a door to his bedroom. That was also very small and just had a wardrobe and a double bed. It felt cosy in a very odd way.

I sat down next to Sara who was cheering Will on. I had no idea what game he was playing as I didn't follow games, I had no idea how they worked or how you played. I preferred to watch. A few other guys from school were also chatting away as they watched their friends play.

"Oh my god Finn, where are the drinks?" Laney groaned as she sat up right and placed her hand on his knee.

"In the fridge." Finn answered without looking away from the TV. I watched as she began to gently stroke his leg and then stood up. "Mike is getting more."

"Well where is Mike?" And as if he was right on qué like in some stage show, he appeared through the door carrying a crate of drinks.

"About time!" Cassidy cheered as she jumped up from her seat and began to rummage through the selection that Mike had.

As the night went on the games had changed. Some were still playing computer games and others were now playing spin the bottle, a game that children play when they want to find out other people's secrets. Although this game was quite outdated, Sara added a twist and said for those who it landed on, not only did they have to kiss or share a secret, they had to down a shot of tequila. I didn't like tequila at all.

"Oh my god, Will it landed on you!" Laney cheered annoyingly as she quickly reached forward and spun the bottle again. I looked at Sara as she watched the bottle and sipped more of her drink, I knew what she was thinking. "EMALINE!" I hated the fact that she shouted my full name in front of everyone. But that wasn't the worst part, it was the look on Sara's face.

"Damn.." Will mumbled as he glanced at Sara who was looking at me with a shocked look. I softly smiled and shook my head.

"Kiss on the cheek?" I suggested to Will who smiled and nodded. He moved towards me but Cassidy quickly put her arm out to stop him.

"That is not the rule of the game!" She protested and I frowned as I looked at her. I quickly looked away as Finn looked at me, but he soon took his eyes from mine. "No cheek."

"Says who?" Will asked.

"Um me and everyone else who plays this game." Cassidy answered in a patronising tone.

"I don't. I think cheek is fine." Finn said as he looked at Sara. I couldn't help the smile that began to grow on my face. I looked away so no one else could see.

"Cheek it is." Will said confidently then leaned forward and kissed my cheek. He smiled as he looked at me after and nodded. I nodded back and then glanced at Sara. She passed us both a shot glass of tequila which we quickly tipped into our mouth. I quivered as the liquid burned its way down my throat.

"This is lame." Cassidy shook her head and looked away. Will ignored her and spun the bottle to see who it would land on next. I instantly rolled my eyes as it landed on me.