I'm in a band

Eight months earlier

Our Summer was crazy. I spent so much of it with Finn, connecting on a completely different level that felt so natural and right. It felt as if we had this puzzle piece missing and we had finally found it. It was perfect.

I finally met his family too, learning that he had a younger brother Benny and an older sister Izzy. They were all quite close and seemed to be well raised and polite children. Finn's Mum was nice too and helped me feel at ease as I was so nervous when I met them for the first time. His step dad Ray was also welcoming and quite easy to talk to. They just seemed like a close and connected family, something that was really lovely to see.

I led back on the grass and stared up at the clouds, forming weird shapes and pictures as they scattered above us. Finn led next to me, our heads inches apart as he looked up too. He softly sighed and slowly sat up, pulling his knees to his chest and rested his arms on them. I glanced at him as he looked ahead of us.

"You okay?" I asked warily as I slowly sat up and crossed my legs. He sighed as he continued to look ahead, his body suddenly became stiff. "Finn?" I asked nervously and he glanced over his shoulder to face me.

"I have to tell you something." He whispered loud enough for me to hear. I felt my stomach churn as my heart completely left my chest. It didn't matter what it was that anyone ever had to say when they started off with that six word sentence.

"Okay.." I said shakily as I now copied him by pulling my legs up and hugging my knees. He suddenly let his legs fall and then quickly sat up and crossed them. I watched as he looked down and began to pick the grass from the small patch that was in-between his legs. "You're making me nervous." I tried to keep calm and quiet but it was too hard.

"Sorry.." He shook his head and stopped picking the grass. He lifted his head and looked at me. "A few weeks ago, there was this audition." He paused as he watched me. I nodded and he did too. "So, I went along and played the guitar." He stopped again as I could see he was beginning to feel nervous.

I loved it when Finn played the guitar. I never realised until this summer when I turned up to see him strumming away in his back garden, that he played so well. Ever since, he decided to be open with me and even showed me some songs he had pinned down. Not everyone knew he played or sang. I've never heard him sing, I've only heard him hum.

"And what happened?" I felt as if I was a reporter needing the full story. But this was something that felt huge, like a front page headline. Finn didn't play in front of people, only his family and me are the ones who have heard him. And he was brilliant.

"I got in. I'm in a band." He said shakily. I looked away as I processed his words. He's in a band. What?

"So you'll play locally?" I asked as I wasn't sure what was going on. I felt pleased that this was the news, I was dreading it to be about me and him. I constantly had dreams of him breaking up with me and I'd wake up trying to figure out if it was real or not.

"Not quite." He sighed and quickly ran a hand through his hair. "I didn't think I'd get in." He shook his head as I watched him once more. "This is a band, like full on touring and releasing songs. I saw an ad online and I didn't know what to do, so in the end I applied and I went along. I didn't tell anyone!" He was worried as I looked at him he quickly reached out and took my hand.

"Touring." I repeated hazily as I felt devastated. He would be leaving me. The dream was coming true, even if the events weren't exactly accurate.

"We don't even know if we will make it, but we will be a supporting act for another artist. That's our aim."