Prolouge

Tw: gore, violence, cannibalism, eating disorder mentions, narcissistic parents, vomit.

  Marilla Santos's skin was starting to bruise from her stepmother's pinching. Marilla's stepmother would often pinch Marilla's shoulder anytime the girl would mumble when praying. The girl had a hard time with speaking out loud especially at church when they said the daily prayer.

Marilla's mumbling was a problem. No one could ever hear her when she try to speak her mind and when she was heard the girl was quickly brushed off as nonsense. Whenever Marilla was force to read a chapter of a book in front of her English class, no one could hear her. Marilla didn't mean to mumble, she just did whenever she was nervous. Marilla's stepmother would scold the girl for mumbling during church, telling her that she was disrespecting God. This led to the pinches as a reminder to cut off the mumbling before it began again.

When Marilla told her father about the pinches, he still allowed it to happened. Saying it would be good for her since no man would want a wife who can't even speak without tripping over their own words.

Marilla didn't want to go to church today. She loved her father but his sermons were often long and boring. Though she would never say those word out loud. She would be punished if she did. Marilla didn't want to be trapped in the walls again.

Marilla softly rubbed her right shoulder. The bruises hurting more than usual. Marilla hated her stepmother. Clarice altrue was her stepmother's name. Marilla's father had married her 10 months after the death of Marilla's adopted mother. Marilla was adopted when she was three years old. She had no memory of her biological parents, only their last name. Luckily Marilla's adopted mother insisted on keeping her birth last name in order to keep her in touch of her filipino roots.

Marilla had light-tan skin, dark brown almost almond shaped eyes, her hair was a chestnut color and in the midst of  her hair was a light pinkish-blue highlight streak that she got when she went with some older kids to the mall.

Her father was not happy about it. Pastor Micheal was a righteous man and believed hair dye was the work of the devil. As soon as Marilla got home her father made her scrub her hair in hopes washing it off.

It clearly didn't work.

Marilla's adopted mother, Ana was killed in a home robbery when Marilla was seven years old. After her mother's death many people went up to Marilla comforting her saying that it was all in God's plan.

Marilla felt like throwing up whenever someone said those words.

Marilla felt like throwing up just this morning. Her stomach hurt, she felt nauseous, she was sweating uncontrollably, she was hungry and her eye circles were dark as if she had never heard of the word sleep.

Marilla's stepmother said she was just being dramatic. Marilla's father said she would feel better if she attended church for the spirit of the lord will heal her. The wooden seats of the church were uncomfortable to sit on. Her legs were screaming for her to stretch them but Marilla didn't want to get pinched again by her stepmother.