Our Song

I was ridin' shotgun with my hair undone
In the front seat of his car
He's got a one-hand feel on the steering wheel
The other on my heart
I look around, turn the radio down
He says, "Baby, is something wrong?"
I say, "Nothing, I was just thinkin' how we don't have a song"
And he says

Nico was riding shotgun, watching his gorgeous, handsome, sunny, sexy, (okay okay I'll stop) boyfriend Will Solace driving while jamming out to "If You're Happy and You Know It" while riding down the street on the way to McDonalds. To Nico's dismay, he broke his doctor's code-- and the law-- by taking his hands off the steering wheel to clap his hands, but Nico didn't tell him. He'd realize later and freak. He loved his boyfriend.

He put one hand on Nico's chest where his hand lay, playing with his undone hair, and noticed the doctor that was his boyfriend had played a trick.

"Ask me what I'm doing." he prompted.

"Being a Taylor Swift lover?" Nico asked, and chuckled.

"No, why would I be?"

"What are you doing, Solace?"

"Just loving my boyfriend who I still haven't written a song for yet! I've got a one hand feel on the steering wheel..."

"the other must be on my heart?"

Will nods, and Nico plays along for once. He-- super nonchalantly-- looks around and turns the radio down.

Will gasps and looks over at him. "Baby is something wrong?"

Nico wagged his finger in the air, and says, "Nothing, I was just thinking how we don't have a song!"

And Will sings,

Our song is the slamming screen door
Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window
When we're on the phone, and you talk real slow
'Cause it's late, and your mama don't know
Our song is the way you laugh
The first date, "Man, I didn't kiss her, and I should have"
And when I got home, 'fore I said, "Amen"
Asking God if he could play it again

"Our song is your creepy cabin door--"

Nico rolled his eyes.

"Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window!"

Nico blushed because he didn't change that part. He didn't need to. It was true, at this point in their relationship, Will absolutely snuck out in the middle of the night to go... "sleep over" at Nico's place.

"When we're on the phone and you talk reeeeeeeal slow,"

Nico couldn't help but smile.

"Cause it's banned and we can't let Chiron know,"

Nico burst out laughing at this. It was true, though. They were completely safe-- it was a favor from Leo (he'd owed them)-- but the other campers might want them, so they kept it a secret from the others. Not even Annabeth knew, and as far as they could see, she didn't suspect.

"Our song is the way you laugh"

Nico stopped laughing now, embarrassed.

"The first date, Man I didn't kiss you and I should have,"

Nico blushed fiercely, as did Will, still happily singing.

"And when I got back, 'fore I scraped my plate, praying t' the gods that maybe, you'd say yes to the date."

"But I didn't say yes!" Nico laughed, recalling the memory. He had ran away, and then Will had comforted him. Nico was so out of it that he had cried into his chest, and Will had taken him to McDonald's anyways, reassuring him that he looked goth and his make-up was smokier and edgier that way. (It didn't, but Will was sweet) It was their one-year anniversary today, so they were going there again.

I was walkin' up the front porch steps after everything that day
Had gone all wrong and been trampled on
And lost and thrown away
Got to the hallway, well on my way to my lovin' bed
I almost didn't notice all the roses
And the note that said

About a week or so later, Nico trudged up the front porch steps after all the shit from that day. You never call someone THAT f-word unless you wanna get punched, so I just gave him what he wanted! Nico smirked. It was a good punch, too. Broke his nose. But dammit, I got banned from that McDonalds! I hate life. I HATE LIFE. I HATE IT!

He marched through the hallways on his way to go scream into his pillow, but them he noticed all the dam rainbow-colored roses and the note that said,

Our song is your creepy cabin door
Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window!
When we're on the phone and you talk reeeeeeeal slow,
Cause it's banned and we can't let Chiron know, (maybe burn this after reading this)

Nico burst out laughing, just as he had before.

Our song is the way you laugh
The first date, Man I didn't kiss you and I should have,
And when I got back, 'fore I scraped my plate, praying t' the gods that maybe, you'd say yes to the date.

I've heard every album, listened to the radio
Waited for something to come along
That was as good as our song

Since then, Nico had listened to every album there was, waiting for something, anything to come along, but nothing there was quite as good the song Will made up for Nico.

'Cause our song is the slamming screen door
Sneakin' out late, tapping on his window
When we're on the phone, and he talks real slow
'Cause it's late, and his mama don't know
Our song is the way he laughs
The first date, "Man, I didn't kiss him, and I should have"
And when I got home, 'fore I said, "Amen"

Askin' God if he could play it again, play it again

And it was all because of that one dam song. Will Solace had really outdone himself that day. He asked Taylor to do a remake with that song with his mom, and boy did he rock it. It was hilarious. And no, Chiron didn't find out, but a couple kids at camp had. It was all over the news that Taylor had let a, according to the headline news, "16-Year Old Rewrites Big Hit W/ Mother to Win Over a Boy". 

Oh, yeah
Oh, oh yeah

But that news was as important to him that night as Percy. Cool if he were a little kid, but now? Now, he didn't really give a shit.

I was ridin' shotgun with my hair undone
In the front seat of his car
I grabbed a pen and an old napkin
And I wrote down our song

And I was riding shotgun with my hair undone in the front seat of his car when this all started out. And, heck, since Naomi was allowed to use the tune now, thanks to Taylor, Nico wrote out his version of Our Song for Will out on an old Little Caesers napkin he found in the glove-box. It started something like this...

I was riding shotgun with my hair undone
In the front seat of his car
He's got his hands in the air like he just don't care
While singing some Cocomelon song
I looked around turned the radio down
He said "Baby is something wrong"
I said "Nothing," then continued on so he started
Writing up Our Song