The Outside

I didn't know what I would find
When I went lookin' for a reason
I know I didn't read between the lines
And baby I've got nowhere to go

Nico di Angelo was kicked out of Camp Half Blood that year.

"You're getting to old," Nico recalls Chiron saying. "and will be stronger on your own. Find a new meaning, di Angelo. Rethink everything."

All Nico knows is that he didn't read between the lines, yet he still can't find the true meaning.

That, and the fact that he had nowhere else left to go.

So he went to Will, the surgeon he met at camp two years ago and fallen in love with.

I tried to take the road less traveled by
But nothing seems to work the first few times, am I right?

I tried to take the option no one would guess. I mean, who comes in asking a surgeon they met at camp for a place to stay? He could have asked Hazel or Reyna, but that'd be too obvious. They'd know where to look.

"Hey, Will! How are you! I'm Nico, I don't know if you remember me, but we went to camp together two years ago."

"I remember you." Will says, a far-off look in his eyes.

Nico explained his situation to the sleep-deprived blonde.

"So?" Nico asked. "Can I stay for a bit?"

"Look, Nico..."

"It's alright. I have family, anyways, so I should be fine."

"Sorry..."

So, how can I even try to be better?
Nobody ever let's me in
And I can still see you, this ain't the best view
On the outside looking in
I've been a lot of lonely places
I've never been on the outside

All Nico really wanted from that visit was to get Will's approval, really. To see that his true-love cared. But he didn't. At least, not enough to let him stay.

No one ever lets me in! Nico thinks, kicking a rock on the side walk, and looks up to Will on the deck, tired eyes staring out into oblivion. I can still see you, but this definitely isn't your best angle. Nico thinks, on the outside of his home, looking in.

Nico's been a lot of lonely places. But he's never been on the outside.

You saw me there but never knew
That I would give it all up to be
A part of this, a part of you
And now it's all too late so you see

Will saw Nico that day, and though it was a nice visit, and though he simply adored Nico, the request was too big for him to fulfill. He worked constant hours at the hospital, and he simply didn't have the time to take care of and house a second person.

He should have said yes.

You could have helped if you had wanted to
But no one notices until it's too late to do anything

Will could have helped Nico if he really wanted to. He was a surgeon. He had money. But, it's too late now, and nothing can be done anymore.

How can I ever try to be better?
Nobody ever let's me in
And I can still see you, this ain't the best view
On the outside looking in
I've been a lot of lonely places
I've never been on the outside

How can I ever try to be better? Nico asks himself at Hazel's place, who was sharing a small flat with Frank. Nobody ever lets me in! Nico says, and looks back at Hazel's flat.

Nico's been a lot of lonely places. But he's never been on the outside of his family.

How can I ever try to be better?
Nobody ever let's me in
And I can still see you, this ain't the best view
On the outside looking in
I've been a lot of lonely places
I've never been on the outside
Oh, oh, oh-oh
Oh, oh-oh

So one day, Nico gave up on trying to be better, and become a store clerk. So, he wasn't better. He was average. Average for the rest of his, sadly very short, life.