Familial adjustment

What had begun as a more or less casual meeting of a minority of the major gods had become quite the kerfuffle (bucket list word number 3). Initially, only three original Olympians were present: Poseidon, Aphrodite, and Athena. Hestia was also present, but she sat at the sacred hearth, smiling as she watched a particular story unfold before her eyes. (I'm sure that's nothing substantial). Hestia rarely got involved in the meetings (small or large). Satisfied watching the sacred hearth in her child form and the occasional conversation.

The three gods' conversation centred around a new book being written about a sailor falling in love with a man of the land. It was one of those rare occasions when something simultaneously piqued the interest of all three of them. Of course, the most common cause of their combined interest was the young couple, at that point, screaming/hearing screaming. However, none of the gods knew about that except Dionysus, who let Chiron handle it. Either way, the three gods enjoyed having something new to talk to each other about.

Naturally, three became four because Zeus was bored and wanted to see if any intriguing gossip and drama was happening. When he found out they were discussing a book, the king of the gods groaned, complaining about his increasing boredom. Fortunately for him, his boredom was about to vanish.

It was during Poseidon's praising of the accurate sailing descriptions that Aphrodite dropped to the floor in pain. Before the others could react, Hestia was by the goddess of love's side, a small, comforting hand on her arm. She returned to her adult form to help Aphrodite stand, being joined by Poseidon in guiding her to her throne.

While the other Olympians asked Aphrodite questions, Hestia remained calm and tried to soothe her pain. Poseidon's question was what had led to Aphrodite's realisation, which caused her to pause mid-sentence and beam out of the Hall of the Gods. This left the others simply staring at her throne.

The remaining immortals shared several confused looks. Surprisingly, Hestia was the first to break the sudden silence when she said she would look at the hearth. Given its connection to the campfire at Camp Half-Blood (where Aphrodite would most likely be), she hoped it could provide some insight into the Goddess of Love's actions.

While their sister/aunt implemented her plan, the three gods tried to deduce what realisation Aphrodite had come to. Athena began, "Well, it is clearly to do with a pair of demigods. A couple by the sounds of it." Zeus nodded along, "Indeed. Also, in her final sentence, she mentioned the couple having to be the strongest she knows of. Do we know who that may refer to?"

They contemplated that question for quite a while, none of them knowing which demigods could have a connection so strong that the severance of it caused a goddess such a reaction. At least, that's what they told themselves. Realistically, two of them knew of such a couple, yet they refused to acknowledge the possibility. With their voluntary ignorance, they did not come to a conclusion before more gods appeared. First was Hermes, who was delivering the hardback copy of the book they were discussing to Athena. However, he decided to stick around when he saw the three of them sitting on their thrones in deep thought. It would have made for quite the painting.

Before he could really question them, Hecate appeared. Despite the institution of more thrones for minor gods (Hecate included), it was rare for the goddess of magic to be in the Hall of the Gods. Usually, Hecate acted rather like Hestia, mainly sticking to observing. She could often be found watching the goings on of her children and blessed mortals worldwide (with a recent focus on one nation in particular). (What might that refer to? I'm sure that's not relevant.). There was an uncomfortable expression on her face when she entered.

When asked, she told Hermes that she had felt a large influx of magic in the world, the tell-tale signs of a considerable spell. In fact, she mentioned that there had been an increasing number of those in recent years, almost as if magic itself was unsettled. Athena briefly looked up and noted this observation but quickly returned to her thinking. This is how they remained for quite a while, a hushed conversation between Hermes and Hecate while the three other Olympians sat in silent thought.