Chapter 11

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! And I know I've been gone for a while, but I have a good excuse besides just being busy/lazy! I'm actually about to publish a real book (like a real, real one that you can hold in your hands)!! 

AHHH! XD -- I'm very excited. So, if you've liked Alone With Them so far and want to support a random young author, feel free to follow me so you get notified when my book is officially published in a few months (it's a MG level book, but so far, all ages have enjoyed it, and it is still very epic!). More info will be posted on my account soon, now BACK TO THE STORY!!!

The dilemma she was now in left Cathryn feeling...confused. And scared, mostly scared. After finishing her shift and awkwardly leaving the restaurant behind – Sam laughing as she left – she'd spent the rest of the morning curled up on her living room couch. She rolled and tossed, trying her best to sleep. Afterall, it was already lunchtime, and she was exhausted. Her mom had even taken Chance to Josh's house again in order to give her some time to sleep.

Yet every time she attempted to close her eyes, she'd see Bonnie's face burned into the back of her eyelids. He would stare at her constantly, living in the dark recesses of her mind. Cathryn shuddered and, for the hundredth time, forced herself awake.

It was already Tuesday, which felt wrong to her. But it made sense all the same since Monday had stretched on for forever. The only part that felt wrong was the fact that tonight was her second shift at Fazbear's. How could she even think about heading back to that nightmare so soon?

But only a few hours past dinner time and she would have to drive down to the restaurant again.

"Only a nutjob would go back," she yawned to herself. "It's not worth it." But what would she tell her mom? Would she believe that the restaurant was overrun with crazy, evil robots?

"Of course not," Markus had told her a few hours before. "She already knows you don't like it there. She'll probably think it's an excuse to get out of work."

"But what if I die?! Markus, what am I supposed to do? Keep going to Fazbear's every night?" She'd tried to fill him in on every detail once she was alone at her house, but almost every other sentence was interrupted by his apologies.

"I don't know, Cat. I'm sorry, I don't know how to help."

Although she wanted to blame Markus for the last few hours – after all, it technically was him who told her to work at the restaurant in the first place – she knew it wouldn't fix anything. Unless she wanted her mom to think she was a quitter, Cathryn was going to have to suck it up and go back again for another night.

This time, however, she was going to go in as prepared as possible. The first step to her plan: take a long nap. It wasn't as easy as it should've been, but eventually, Cathryn managed it.

She forced herself to stay unconscious, despite the terrifying robotic voices that danced around her mind in the darkness. Broken doors that wouldn't close, Chica's beak breaking open so that Cathryn could see the wiring inside. Screams and laughter, cold and metallic and heartless. It all racked her mind until, at once, there was a harsh screeching sound.

Groggily, she opened her heavy eyes to find the room full of blinding sunshine. The living room couch felt almost prickly against her skin and Cathryn let out a long moan. Outside a large window, speckled with dust and fingerprints, sat a small white bird with a layer of black feathers wrapped around its back like a jacket. Its beady eyes peered into hers before letting out a rough shriek.

"Stupid bird," she grumbled at the feathery alarm clock, before attempting to bury her head in the cushions. She'd only managed to fall asleep for what, a few hours? "How am I supposed to stay awake all night now?"