Prologue: Of all things unsightly

In the quiet hallways of Song Corporation, the sound of the clicking heels on the perfectly tiled floor echoed from the red-bottomed stilettos of the only secretary of the Corporation. A hiss left her lips, hands involuntarily reaching for her foot. The files that she was holding remained steady despite her sudden crouching.

"This is what I get for impulsively buying heels that are not meant for office work." Natalia rubbed the back of her ankles, the skin was red and looked close to bleeding. The girl could only furrow her brows, and with a click of her tongue, she took off her heels and held the pair in one hand. She walked barefoot towards her boss' office.

Yes, barefooted. Because what's life without a bit of sophistry?

Her steps, now unhindered from her heels ( beauty is nothing without pain), were quicker, more deft. And in no time, she arrived in front of her boss's office.

Swiping her hands underneath her eyes, hoping the eye bags underneath them, away (as if they would ever go away that easily) Natalia knocked on the door with an automatic smile she had mastered long before she entered the office life.

"Mr. Song, I have the papers you asked for." Her voice was chip, crisp, and confident. Natalia didn't bother on waiting for the answer behind the door, as she pushed open, her perfect little smile still in place. Even after she saw the frown marring the good looks of her boss.

" I did not say you could come in" The owner of the song corporation started but swallowed his words when Natalia unceremoniously dumped the files onto his table. He eyed the heels that were on Natalia's first before the smile that was on her face.

"I wasn't about to wait another minute and a half for you to gather your bearings before finally letting me in," Natalia said, her smile turning sharp. But the only thing she received was a blank look in return from her boss. "Sir, if I may."

"You may not-" Her boss started, his words had a strong hint of kicking her out of the office if she dared to continue with her words. But she at this point, hardly cared anymore. The secretary merely addressed her boss with serene eyes, as if she was already detached from the consequences if her boss got angry.

But his words were cut off- no, it was more appropriate to say that his words got stuck to the back of his throat and refused to come out when Natalia calmly and gently slid an envelope towards his direction.

The eyes of the young head of the Song corporation shook, and in return the smile on Natalia's eyes deepened. She was relishing every moment of this.

Natalia met the shaking eyes of her boss squarely.

"Sir." She started, her tone clip and clear, it wasn't high, nor was it fast. But it brought an unprecedented amount of anxiety to the young head of the Song corporation. Natalia however, didn't bat a eyelid, it was if she didn't see the distressed look her boss was shooting her.

"Along with the files that you asked for, I also came here to pass my resignation letter." Seeing that her boss was unresponsive, Natalia pushed her letter a little bit more towards her soon to be ex-boss with nothing but a smile on her face.

Mr. Song's eyes shook some more, looking like if you pinch his eyes tears would already drip down and leave a heavy trail of watermarks. However by the time he scrambled to get a word out, Natalia does what she does best, she cut him off once again.

This time though, she didn't do it with her words but with her actions.

Natalia turned around, in her hands her red bottomed heels swinging as she did so, and walked right out of the office with nothing but a humming tune of what sounded suspiciously like the tone of "material girl".