chapt. 𝐈

「it's you that i'm looking for,
all my life.」baby blue - rocco

"-and so, for this essay, you will be required to go by yourselves or in small groups to different locations for a month in order to collect your own arguments and examples for your thesis

be required to go by yourselves or in small groups to different locations for a month in order to collect your own arguments and examples for your thesis." mr. Han finished, waking me from my slumber.

seeing me a bit lost, the students next to me chuckled, giving me smug grins. our teacher's voice so loud, it had probably echoed throughout the whole academy, maybe the entirety of ba sing se.

"make sure to pick destinations that fit your theme: let's say you're focusing on the glory of the dai li, then it's unnecessary to go all the way to the great divide." he glared at some who were chatting amongst themselves, ignoring my half-asleep self.

"class is dismissed, don't forget to take a trip sheet on your way. you have until the next full moon to complete and return it to me." a loud wave of excitement took over the large amphitheater before all scholars practically shoved each other on the way down to grab a paper.

"miss l/n? i'd like to have a word with you." as I was about to grab a sheet, i was stopped.
i noticed the gaze of my friends on me. i gulped, expecting the worst but followed my teacher anyways.

"you have certainly noticed the recent... decadence of your grades. have you not?" he eyed me with a certain expression that i couldn't pinpoint.
i nodded nervously,
"i've been having some trouble with my creativity and writing skills as of lately."

he looked away and out the tall windows, admiring the lower rings of ba sing se from this altitude.
"i hope you know what's at stake here. this is your final thesis, if you don't get a passing grade, you might repeat the year or even worse, get kicked out." he stared into the distance.
"in addition, you have chosen to work on earthbending in different regions and badgermoles. what reason motivated this choice?"

i sweat-dropped "it's a bit of a stupid reason... i think people don't cherish them enough, they're taken for granted in my opinion." i smiled.
mr Han raised a brow at this, but decided not to question it further.

"alright then, i guess you are free to go, please keep my words in mind." i rapidly shook my head and sped out of the room, not forgetting to get a trip sheet before shutting the door a bit too hard to my liking.

after sprinting down a few corridors and into the academy garden, i was surprised to see my classmates who's names i remembered as MingMing and Chen. they waved at me and hurried to my side.

"so?? what'd he say?" the very thin girl with the cutest bunny teeth excitedly asked while Chen waited for my answer as well. my gaze switched from one to the other before landing on a stone vase, away from them.
"well, that my grades are shit and that i'm gonna fail so hard" they frowned