chap. 𝐈𝐈𝐈

「so when it comes to be my turn
could you shine it down her for her.」
my love is mine - mitski

traveling on Appa was a terrifying experience

traveling on Appa was a terrifying experience. i didn't realize what riding a flying bison implied until he took off. it took me a good hour before i calmed down and stopped gripping the border of the creature's saddle so hard.

"do you need some water?" Katara gestured towards a pouch she had just pulled out. i nodded and she handed it to me. i immediately gulped the water down, trying to keep those swamp skewers in my stomach.
"thanks." i took a second to breathe, i felt the siblings eyes on me. "so you're a waterbender from the south?" she nodded

"i didn't mention it earlier, but i recently discovered i might be a descendant from southern water tribes too."

the tan boy looked at his sister before looking back at me "seriously? how's that possible."

"i learned from an acquaintance that my ancestors immigrated to the earth kingdom a century ago. unfortunately i'm not a bender like you"

"finally another normal person!" Katara glared at him. "i see. it'd be a huge coincidence if we were from the same tribe." she chuckled

"last night at the swamp, you promised to tell me about the fire nation. what's going on exactly?" i recalled and she took on a more serious expression. "they're attempting to take over the world, i'm shocked you didn't know. it's not a small war, it's impacting us all." she looked away, holding back tears.

i stared at my hands "so Peng was right... forgive me, this is only the second time i hear about this war. for some reason i never knew about it, and i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one in ba sing se."

"what do you mean by that?" Aang piped in looking back at us from Appa's head.

i hesitated before telling them everything, "my master's theory was that this is a conspiracy trying to keep us from the truth." my fists tightened.
"ba sing se has just opened its borders for scholars like me to step outside the wall, but no one warned us about the dangers this trip implied." nobody spoke for a moment.

"i'm sure it's nothing..." Sokka tried to reassure me but he didn't have anything or say so it was just awkard for a while.

"we've been flying for almost two hours, we're not far from gaoling but i think it's best if we let Appa rest for a bit." Aang cut the silence once more. we all agreed to take a break for the bison's sake and soon, we landed in the middle of a forest clearing. we started preparing our camp, unpacking our things from Appa's back but we were interrupted by an earthquake. from the forest emmerged five soldiers in red armors mounting komodo rhinos who quickly closed in on us.

one of them stood on a cliff over us.
"give up, you're completely surrounded."
they began attacking, and we all hurried back onto Appa, leaving some things behind. i grabbed onto my dagger case, narrowly avoiding a flaming arrow by a hair and ran to the bison with Katara who had also managed to get her scrolls in time.