Birthday Surprises

Time passed, and Pezzy had eventually learned how to cope with the memories. He'd gone down to talk to Droid the day after their mission, and Droid hadn't said anything. Just hugged him tightly.

That had meant more than any words Droid could have said. He didn't shy away from touching him, any more than before at least. But before, it was because Pezzy hadn't wanted the touch, knowing touches meant nothing good.

But now, after being with his family for so long, he was realising that small, simple touches were normal. They were warm, affectionate. They were nudges while laughing, a reassurance that they were there.

They were a hand in his when one of his brothers were unsettled, an arm across his shoulders in easy acceptance.

Touches were okay.

Words were okay too. Words were noises, something that had taken him too long to be used to. But noises weren't terrifying, not anymore.

They were music that his friends played while making dinner. They were laughter while they watched the TV. They were whispered questions when his brothers needed reassurances.

They were names. Droid. Puffer. Grizzy. Matt. Smiity. Dooo. John. McNasty. Soup. Pezzy. He was still getting used to having a name, even if his friends made sure to use it almost every time they spoke to him. Pezzy. Pez. Even Pezwald, though that one seemed to really only come from Droid, Grizzy and Puffer.

Noises were okay.

His friends were planning something, he could see that. He didn't really know what, but the excitement in the air and happiness showed it wasn't bad.

He knew it was about him, too. He had a dozen talks with his brothers wondering what it was, and Smiity was the one to bring up the idea of birthdays.

They'd held a party for Smiity two months ago. A small one, not a lot going on since they'd only been with the group for little over 4 weeks at that point. They'd mixed it with Dooo's birthday, since they'd been rescued a week after his.

According to what Droid had said, his birthday was the next day. He'd be 24.

He didn't know how to feel about that. 24 years old seemed so strange to him. Especially since 21 years of it was blank and almost 3 years of it was in a blank room. They'd been free for little over 3 months now, and it stood out so vividly from his whole life.

He spun around in the office chair in his room, hands resting on the arms and head bowed. 24 years old. So much of his life missing.

A knock came at the door and he lifted his head, planting his feet so he'd quit spinning. He rattled the doorknob out of habit, still not talking quite loud enough to be heard if he told whoever it was to enter.

Grizzy walked in, smiling faintly at him. Pezzy smiled back, tilting his head curiously. "Eli just emailed," Grizzy started, Pezzy's eyes widening.

It'd been almost 3 weeks since the mission, and Eli and the others had taken Core and Shelling back to their own home to question them. Pezzy had refused to let Dooo, Matt and Smiity see Core, though they really wanted to. He didn't want them to go through the same emotions he had.

Soup had gone with them, having taken Core's ability into himself. Now he was able to do what she could at will, which terrified Pezzy but he also knew Soup would never hurt them.

"What he say?" Pezzy asked quietly, Grizzy sitting on the edge of the bed. "They finally got Shelling to talk. He can reverse the amnesia, but not 100%," Grizzy said and Pezzy's eyes widened.

"Anything better than nothing," he breathed, Grizzy smiling in agreement. "Soup has been questioning him with Simple and Eli. They're going to find a way to get Shelling to tell Soup how to do it, and Soup will be the one to unlock yours and the others memories. We don't trust Shelling to try and wipe you guys again if he sees you," he said and Pezzy nodded, hope filling him for the first time.