Chapter 8

If you had told me that I would end up under the man I despised the most again, I wouldn't have believed it.

"Do you like being under me that much, Sophie?" he asked in a deep voice.

Now, how did I end up being pinned down?

~ 13 30 ~

After my little conflict with Szobo yesterday, Trent ended up being mad at me. I know I might have gone too far, but he just pushes my buttons. He drives me insane to the point where I can't control my emotions. Each time we quarrel, my emotions escalate tenfold, and my words slip out without considering the consequences.

But now, I'm also mad at Trent. He's my best friend; he should be on my side, not his. Whether I'm at fault or not, we're supposed to stick together. This awful man is taking everything from me.

Thankfully, the session planned with him today was canceled. I don’t have to see his ugly face. A yoga instructor is coming to the training center in the afternoon. The boss thought it might be a good idea for the guys to have a yoga session. It's a good stress reliever and strengthens stamina. I’m glad to be an office worker; I don’t need to participate in these activities with them.

I’m craving something sweet. The dining room is too far from here. I guess I'll settle for a chocolate bar from the vending machine. I did send Trent a message this morning because, after a good night's sleep, I felt bad. I apologized for my behavior, but this idiot left me on read. I knew he was really mad when he didn’t respond.

While grabbing my chocolate, I saw Trent’s favorite brand of protein bar. There was only one left. Maybe I could win him over with it. I concluded this was a good idea when I heard Trent's laughter echoing in the hallway. With whom was he laughing like that? I'm the one he laughs like this with. I swear I’m not lying; everyone knows I’m nearby when Trent almost dies of laughter. I walked towards the recreational area, and then I saw them. I’m not jealous; Trent can have other friends, but not him. He really seems to like Szobo. Nowadays, they are always together on and off the pitch.

They even hang out at Trent’s place now. I’ve never seen Szobo laugh like that; he’s always cold and on guard with me. It’s weird seeing him be so vulnerable around other people. He looks like a happy kid. His smile dropped the moment he saw me through the window, and his posture completely changed in an instant. Trent looked at me, sensing the change in the atmosphere. He ignored me and continued playing cards with Virg and Szobo. The captain was the only one to acknowledge me.

“Hey Sophie. Come in.”

“Hi Cap,” I replied, smiling timidly.

“Trent? Can I talk to you for a minute?” I asked still at the entrance.

“I’m busy.”

“We can wait,” said Virg.

Trent looked at me, visibly reluctant.

“Please.”

Trent stood up and walked towards me. Szobo was silent the whole time. He wasn’t even looking at me.

“I’m trying to stay mad at you.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Yesterday, I was a bitch. I went too far, and I know it wasn’t nice of me to say what I said, and I’m not looking for any excuses.”

“But you should understand that he and I are like fire and water. We are not compatible. He drives me insane like no one else. I don’t understand it either. When we dare to cross paths, it's as if two polar opposites, inexorably drawn to each other, are driven to their ultimate collapse.”