Chapter Twenty: Back Where We Started

(A little while later...)

~Hidden~

  "Is this place familiar, or is it just me?" Rustic whispered to Wisp. Weary, as they all were. This had been a long journey.

  A large field surrounded them. A couple rotting tables stood farther off. Scattered pieces of glass were all over these tables.

  The tall Leaf Tribe trees hugged every bit around them. Something about this place seemed familiar to her, too. Not that she had been asked.

  "This is where we had been tested," Wisp murmured.

  Oh!

  She remembered when they had told her about this. It was when they met. All of them. Edge included. The very, very beginning of all of this.

  Hidden, however, stayed quiet. She did not feel like talking to those two right now. In fact, she didn't really feel like talking at all.

  She could be taking a nap right now, but no. She was dragged along on this little goose-chase.

  Rustic shrugged it off. He pointed to a small broken window towards the abandoned ledge.

  A large concrete wall stood in front of them. However, Leaf Tribe didn't seem to show any type on consideration for this section of their territory. Loose sections crumpled up on the drying weeds below made way to climb up onto the ledge.

  'It'll probably just break when we step on it, though,' Hidden thought glumly. Weariness seeped it's way into her.

  Eventually, Hidden gathered enough energy to speak her ideas. "We could climb on that wall over there. It might break or something though," Hidden loosely swung her hand over in the direction of the wall.

  Kawasumi nodded, but then asked, "Why are we taking this route when there's another? Isn't there a tunnel somewhere around the palace?"

  Hidden nodded. "That's smarter."

  "How do you know about something like that?" Rustic asked; eyebrows scrunched together.

  "Yeah, how can we trust you?" Myeong-Jun then followed up.

  Before Kawasumi responded, however, Ken'ichi jumped in, "If there's a tunnel around, should we look for it?"

  Hidden merely blinked at Myeong-Jun.

  Hidden followed behind as she was led towards this tunnel. Her eyes remained glued to her run-down boots. The crunching sounds of stepping on these long, tangled weeds were the only sounds she really focused on. They lightly tickled her, all the way up to her thighs.

  No wonder she didn't notice when Wisp tapped her shoulder.

  "Hidden, is everything alright?" Wisp asked in her now-lighter voice.

  She looked up. Hidden could feel the bags etched onto her skin. She offered a small nod and a little smile.

  "Sure. Just tired."

  "Ah, alrighty, just checking! Why don't you come hang out with Rustic and I?" She nudged her, "Like old times,"

  Hidden nodded, and watched as Wisp walked back over to Rustic, who was the only one in their trio that was really paying attention to where they were going.

  She waited a minute. Just a minute. She wanted to relish the last bit of silence before they went anywhere.

She had a feeling there wouldn't be silence for much longer.

~*~

  "Kawasumi must be leading us to a trap." Myeong-Jun murmured to Ken'ichi, still doubting Kawasumi.