Chapter 2

Amelie's p.o.v.

I woke up with a start when my alarm went off. I sighed and slowly got out of bed, remembering the previous day. My knees went weak.

When my knees grew stable I walked over to my closet. I grabbed dark skinny jeans and a Mickey Mouse sweater. I threw my hair up in a messy bun and pulled on my uggs. I saw my reflection in the mirror and was horrified at how fat I was and how ugly I was.

I walked to my bedside table and picked up my phone and purse. I checked my phone. No messages. I'm pretty popular, huh?

I shrugged and placed my phone in my back pocket. I drank a water bottle in two seconds flat to send the hunger away. I sighed, knowing that it was going to be one sucky day.

At least it's the last day.

If you are wondering, I'm skipping graduation. Why? Who would go see me? The kids at school are a bunch of jerks anyway.

When I walked through the doors, whispers erupted around me. I caught a flew things, like :

"I heard she caused her dads death."

"I heard he committed suicide."

It hurt, but it was no different than any other day.

I sighed and walked through the hall. I walked to my locker. I could call in sick today....

"Hey, Amelie. Ready for today's routine?" Toby asked. I swallowed. He does this every day. Taunt, abuse.He slapped me, and punched my stomach. He was about to punch again but Right at that moment my phone vibrated, indicating a call. It was an unknown number. I ran from him and answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Amelie Cowell?"

"Yes."

"I'm Simon, you're Uncle."

My mouth dropped. My dad never told me I had an uncle. I mean, who the hell forgets that?!?

"Hello.... Um..."

"Call me Uncle Simon."

"Hi Uncle Simon."

"So Amelie. I was calling to ask if you would like to meet me somewhere where we could talk."

"Sure."

"Do you like Starbucks?"

"I love it."

"Perfect. Can I meet you there in thirty minutes?"

I sighed, thankful for an excuse to get the hell out of here.

"Yes. I'll see you there.... Uncle Simon."

"Goodbye Amelie."

He hung up, and that was that. I grabbed my bag and told the headmaster I would be gone, and I practically ran to my car. I was home free.

As far as I knew, anyways.

---------------------------------------------

I walked into Starbucks and looked around. Simon told me he would be early, so I looked for a man that resembled my dad.

I found a man that looked similar, but older. He smiled and gestured for me to sit.

I took my seat and he smiled warmly at me. "Amelie. How are you?"

"Ok." inside I'm screaming. I mean, who the heck asks someone how they are after THEIR FLIPPING DAD JUST DIED AND THEIR MOTHER WAS ALREADY FLIPPING GONE AND SHE IS LEFT ALONE WITH AN UNCLE SHE'S NEVER MET.

"Why do you look so surprised, Amelie?" He said, questionably.

"I just didn't know that you were THE Simon Cowell..."

"Don't you remember me?"

I shook my head, followed by silence.

"So, Amelie," he said, "I have a question for you."

I leaned back in my seat. "Ask away."

"I was wondering if you would let me become your legal guardian."

If I had a drink I'd be doing spit takes right now. Holy crap.

"I see you're surprised," he said, "because you think you don't know me."

I nodded.

"But I visited you until you were 9. I had business at the time, and haven't had time to see you again."

The memories came rushing back. He was my favorite uncle. We had great times. Riding the London Eye, going to see Big Ben, and telling my parents all about it in a phone booth.

"So?" He asked. "Will you?"