~Broken fingernail~

April 6, Saturday afternoon

My leg shook like crazy as I chewed on my already broken nails. It was a hushed silence that filled the room, and it didn't help that this was my therapist. "All right then.." she started as she raised her hands up to her blonde hair and put it into a delicate bun.

"Let's get started where we finished off, shall we." I uncomfortably shifted in my chair and nodded my head.

"Alright, now I might seem like I have to keep this secret, but your mother isn't expecting you to do these lessons for very long, and you've been on my mind for a while. Miss Rain. Which is why I bought you something you will have with you forever." She said as she reached in her leather messenger bag and brought back a journal.

"I know it might sound clichè but writing really does help you express emotion. You don't even have to be specific if it's really hard for you." I grabbed the white covered journal that sat itself on the table and took a look at it for a moment before looking back up. Almost only focusing on her diploma on her wall behind her.

"Hazel, I really want to help you with this situation. What happened to your father is something you can't always deal with alone." I nodded my head and shifted in my chair once more.

"If there's anything you want to tell me before I start, tell me now." She said as she turned her head to the water in front of her before taking it in her hand and drinking it.

"I guess I do..... Do you maybe know why.... he did it...? I mean, you're a licensed therapist, so you must know... right?" My finger scraped my thumbs skin off with anxiety. Her back rested more as she sat back.

"Yes, it's true. I'm a licensed therapist, but he's never been in therapy with me, so it's hard to determine exactly why he did....that..." She leaned forward, placing a hand on my knee. "But I know for a fact that all of this is not your fault, dear. It never is anyone's fault."

I looked over to her window and dug my nails into my wrist, which was covered by my long sleeved sweater. "Now we need to get to the other thing..." She referred to my wrists. "I know....I'm trying..." I looked down to my wrists, hating the fact that I did this to myself....but it was the only way I could cope.

"And that's good. You're doing a great job. You're slowly getting better and better, my dear." Of course, a therapist is nicer than my own mother. "I know that for a fifteen year old girl, it will be especially hard, so maybe this book can help you with other things." She looked down on her hardboard that she put my paper on.

The rest of the session was normal stuff like school life and other things, but eventually, I had to leave, feeling both relieved and anxiety built as I left the room. I clutched the journal in my hand, The weight of her words hung tightly to my chest.

It isn't something I was ready to fully face on yet...Not yet.

The lady at the front desk waved goodbye as I walked out of the building. I checked my phone and realised how much time I actually had. 15:56. As I heard my mom's car dashing through the rest of the cars. She parked in front of me, so I climbed in. She whispered profanities as we stormed off back on track. "You made me late for my meeting!" She yelled, and I really didn't care anymore.

"Sorry, mom." I said as I leaned onto my window.
"Don't 'sorry mom' me! It's already bad enough that your friend is coming over! You know I hate company!" I rolled my eyes.

"Ma, she's been my friend for years now. Just accept it." Now she was the one rolling her eyes. "Is it because she's darker than me?"

My mom gave me a glare. "Don't you dare put that assumption on me? Or I'll tell her to cancel this movie night, and you will be grounded!" It was true. My mother always hated her even though she's probably the only reason I still had good grades. I personally could never hate her. She's always here for me.

Penelope was a lighter mix of olive, afro-like hair with a round nose, thin lips with sharp teeth and slight spaced front teeth. Her skin was smooth and always taken care of. Though she ate a lot, she still maintained a healthy body. Unlike me.

Once we reached our house, mom shooed me out of the car so she could leave.
I swung the bag over my shoulder and opened the house.

The sudden warmth from the inside relaxed my body, so I closed the door. Obviously, my sister wasn't home yet. I had a few minutes before she came over, so I wandered into the kitchen to make some popcorn.

Dad taught me how to make basic good food.

A shaky sigh left my body as I poured some corn into a pot with oil. The ovens' heat felt just right, so I put a lid on the pot. After about 5 minutes, I heard a knock on the door, I walked over to the door and opened it to reveal a silhouette with slightly darker skin and afro-like hair. She wore a headband to keep it out of her face, black baggy pants with black boots and a red shirt. At the bottom of her pants were strings that you could tie up tightly. I grinned at her as she leaned forward to give me a tight hug, melting into it. "I brought some chips."

We were sitting in front of the TV as we kept passing chips to each other. This was the most fun I've had in a long while. The way she kept whispering something funny into my ear as if the movie wasn't some cheesy romantic film where the characters kept getting into some stupid love triangle.

The way she was all cuddled up on my side was like we were some married old couple. The way I wanted to grab her and kiss her on her lips so hard that my lips turned purple.

Suddenly, my eyes stung with tears as I accidentally looked over to a picture of me and my dad when we went fishing last year. I turned my head away from Penelope to make sure she didn't have to see me like this. "Hazel, are you o-"

We both jumped once we heard a car hoop. I realised that her mom was here once I looked through the curtain. Penelope grabbed her bag and hugged me tightly before leaving through the front door. My stomach was full of butterflies, which made me hold it.

I've never felt like this before.

My thoughts came to a stop once I remembered that picture. My tears really started flowing, and I ran to my room. My bed was the only place that kept me safe. My white room walls, wooden desk, rolly chair, white wooden closet, and school books on the floor will keep me safe.

《 It will keep me safe from myself》