27.

Jack's POV

"You know I should kick your ass for being here right now Hughes" Coach barks as he pushes me against the wall. I was sneaking out of Melissa's house when I got caught. Her dad's face had turned red with anger, his eyes black as if he was about to beat the crap out of me.

"I deserve it" I sighed. He looked at me confused.

"I deserve it coach. I hurt Melissa. I hurt her more than anyone probably has" I continue. "I'm ready for the beating you'll probably give me"

I closed my eyes and flinched at what I thought would be a punch. I opened my eyes and looked at him.his facial features had stayed the same, the grip on my shit loosened slightly but it was still there. No words were shared, just the awkward moment between me and my coach. If I said one wrong thing he could bench me in an instant. I suddenly felt my body hit the floor as he through me down like a rag doll. I just looked up at him.

"Listen buddy" He kneels down so we are face to face once again, "I could kick your ass, I could bench you. I could do whatever I want because I'm your coach. But today, I'll let you go" I look at him in disbelief.

"What do you mean 'you're letting me go?'" I ask, using air quotations.

"My daughter loves you, Hughes. I can tell by the way she looks at you. I can tell by the way she smiles every time your name comes up in conversation. I can't physically hurt someone she loves, even if I can't stand him" He explains. "Unless they lay a hand on her" I chuckled at his last words.

"I would never hurt her again. In any way. I love her coach" I say.

Coach smiles slightly as he helps me off the floor. I really hoped he would understand the love I have for Melissa. I hadn't truly loved anyone until I met her. I am truly the happiest when I am with her.

"I love you too Jack" My head snaps in the direction of the stairs. I see Melissa standing there with a smile on her face. The beautiful face I love.

"You're lucky I didn't kick his ass" Coach adds.

"Yeah whatever dad" Melissa playfully rolls her eyes at her father as she makes her way over to me. I hug her tightly. I wrap my arms around her waist as she nuzzles her head into my neck. Her hugs were my favourite.

I felt at home.

"You hurt my daughter again, you won't see the ice for the year. You got that?" Her dad barks. I pull away from Melissa, "Yes coach. I promise I won't hurt her again"

"Good" Was all he said before walking away. I looked over at Melissa and chuckled slightly as I leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead.

"Don't mind him, he's just being protective" Melissa chuckles.

"I know he is and I don't blame him" I sigh. "I hurt you Mel. I'll always be sorry"

"I told you I needed sometime to forgive you. Give me that time" She replied.

I just wish she would forgive me instantly. I wish I wouldn't have to give her time.

"I won't stop until you finally do" I placed one more gentle kiss to her forehead and pulled her into my side.

Melissa's POV

Game night at the prudential centre it was. The arena was once again packed with fans in every corner. Some wearing Montreal jerseys, most were wearing Devils jerseys. I must admit that it was nice to be back in the arena. It was nice knowing I would once again be watching Jack play without the feeling of sadness washing over me. I missed that feeling of happiness when he was on the ice.

I slowly made my way to the locker room in hopes of finding him before the game. I showed the guard my pass and he let me through with a smile, already knowing I was Lindy's daughter. I knocked on the door gently and it was opened rather quickly. But not by Jack.

I gulped loudly as I rubbed the back of my neck.

Nico.

"Oh uh hey Mel" He gave me an awkward smile.

"Hey Nico" I replied. I attempted to make the conversation less awkward, but I knew it wasn't working.

"If you're looking for Jack, he's already on the ice for warmups"

"Oh okay" I shrug, "How come you're not on the ice?"

"I got here late and coach told me to forget about the warmups" He shrugs. "Listen I wanted to talk to you about us"

The conversation quickly changed. It changed to a topic I wanted nothing to do with.

"We had sex, we made out after you and Jack broke up. But I do care for you. I just wanted you to know" he speaks. He grabs his hand in mine gently. I freeze. My mouth freezes. My body freezes.

Truth is, Nico and I haven't spoke since we hooked up. I was trying to avoid him and he was trying to avoid me. I just knew it. I wasn't sure why he would bring this up now.

"Nico, I love Jack. I want Jack and only him. I love that you care for me, but please let's just stay friends" I try to keep the situation as calm as possible and less awkward as possible. But I keep it wasn't working.

I knew that Nico and I would never be as close again.

Nico just sighed and let go of my hand. He turned away and I couldn't help but stare at his bare back. The way his muscles flexed with each movement. The way his hair was perfectly swooped onto one side. Part of me wanted to rip his pants off and get him inside me again. The other part knew I couldn't.

"What the fuck is going on in here?"