Prologue 1.03

As Vernon and Beomgyu walked back through the busy path, their conversation deepened

As Vernon and Beomgyu walked back through the busy path, their conversation deepened. Vernon, his brow furrowed slightly, broke the silence: "I must admit, Beomgyu, it seemed like Yeonjun wasn't averse to seeing you."

"Trust me," Beomgyu looked up at the bright blue sky, it had been really strange to see Yeonjun again, "I'm sure he's like that with everyone. He hasn't changed at all in the last few years."

He had only grown up on the outside.

And even more attractive. To Beomgyu's regret.

However, the encounter with his ex left an unsettling feeling in Beomgyu's stomach. Memories of their past forced their way into his mind, and he couldn't ignore the complexity of emotions this encounter triggered.

"You really think so?" Vernon inquired with a furrowed brow. Despite Yeonjun's teasing tone, Beomgyu did not seem as averse to the encounter as the graphic designer himself was. But Vernon also remembered the end of their relationship, so Beomgyu had every right to be offended and defensive.

"You know his reasons for the break-up," said Beomgyu and this event would always remain in his memory. He would never be able to forget how Yeonjun had stood in front of the mirror beaming with joy when his affinitatoo had appeared. How the black lines had appeared under his skin - behind his right ear - and formed into a symbol, as if it had a life of its own. Yeonjun's eyes had shone, pulling Beomgyu tightly into his arms and twirling him through the air with joy. It was clear that this had been his happiest moment. And this simple symbol, consisting of a bow and arrow wrapped in vines, had also led to the most intimate moment between the two of them. That day, Yeonjun had repeatedly mentioned that he couldn't wait for Beomgyu's tattoo to appear. After the first month of waiting, Beomgyu could already feel the watchful eyes of his then boyfriend on him. Whether it was in the shower, while he was getting undressed and dressed or when they were making love. It felt as if Yeonjun was constantly scrutinizing and testing him. In the months that followed, Beomgyu felt even more change. Not in his own body, because he was still waiting for his own affinitatoo. But it was clear that Yeonjun had been watching not only him, but other people as well.

As if he was searching.

The most shocking moment for Beomgyu had been on his birthday, when they had both gone shopping in the city. When Beomgyu had asked Yeonjun's opinion in a store and he hadn't responded, he had looked up and seen his friend just standing there. His head turned away, his eyes wandering through the crowd and his tattoo behind his ear emblazoned on Yeonjun's skin like a warning sign. From that moment on, Beomgyu had realized that Yeonjun had stopped looking at him and had stopped looking at everyone else instead.

He had stopped looking for his soulmate in Beomgyu and had instead embarked on a new search.

"That between us was just a childhood crush," Beomgyu tried to talk it down and shrugged his shoulders. "If he didn't feel anything anymore and really wanted to find his soulmate, then there shouldn't be anything like enmity between us."