Chapter 3.08

The charged atmosphere after the argument lay like a heavy blanket over the building

The charged atmosphere after the argument lay like a heavy blanket over the building. Beomgyu couldn't just leave the argument and especially the kiss there and sprinted after Yeonjun. Both events reverberated in his head like an echo.

Confusion, anger and a mixture of other emotions overwhelmed him.

He gasped and the distance Yeonjun had traveled seemed endless, struggling with his own roiling emotions. The pounding in his ears mingled with the excited whispers of the staff who had witnessed the scene. "Damn it Yeonjun, don't always fuck off when you don't know what to do!" he hissed, just loud enough for Yeonjun to hear, because Beomgyu didn't want this private argument to become public. It was unpleasant enough for him that they had found out about his love problem. But the emotional turmoil left him no choice. "You can't just kiss me like that and then run away!"

"I could if you didn't run after me!" Yeonjun snapped automatically and turned to Beomgyu in one fluid motion. The look on his face was still one of anger. At the same time, he unzipped his jacket and peeled it off, putting it around the younger man's shoulders. The penetrating look in his dark eyes revealed more than his words: a mixture of self-reproach and a hint of vulnerability.

Yeonjun didn't seem to want Beomgyu to freeze despite his anger, so he put the jacket around his shoulders. The graphic designer had already gotten warm from the heated discussion.

"I hate this," Beomgyu grumbled, but unexpectedly clung to the warm jacket, although he no longer felt the cold wind as he had earlier. "Why would you do something like that when you're leaving?"

Sighing, Yeonjun pulled the jacket together.

"I'm just a coward. And I wasn't planning on disappearing for years again!" the black-haired man hissed and looked at his ex-boyfriend, who was scrutinizing him with those punishing eyes.

"Oh," Beomgyu grumbled, "so you would have spoken up?"

After that kiss?

Or had it just happened in the heat of the moment?

"After I cursed myself - maybe," Yeonjun murmured quietly, casting his gaze briefly to the sky before carefully examining Beomgyu. He shook his head.

"I'm not going to take this lying down again," Beomgyu said steadfastly and there was nothing left of the initial stuttering. "You haven't changed, Choi Yeonjun." And he didn't even mean that in an obsessively negative way, because there were many qualities about Yeonjun that Beomgyu had always loved. Even if he sometimes cursed them.

"Gyu," Yeonjun whispered softly, his attempt to explain himself seemingly nipped in the bud. Beomgyu had raised a point that triggered profound emotions in both of them. "I... - I wasn't going to..."

The fact that it was now Yeonjun who stuttered showed that he no longer knew how to explain himself.

But Beomgyu waited, relaxing his tense facial muscles a little.