Chapter 4.10

Beomgyu lingered on his bed, his graphics tablet resting in his lap, when his sister's soft voice broke the silence of the room

Beomgyu lingered on his bed, his graphics tablet resting in his lap, when his sister's soft voice broke the silence of the room. The door to the room opened a crack and the gaze of his sister, Yuri, sought his. Her presence was like a gentle breeze that brought fresh vitality into the room. With a curiously protruding lower lip and an uncertain expression on her face, Yuri dared to poke her head through the doorway. The brightness of her eyes and the slight hesitation in her posture told Beomgyu that she had come to him with a question or a request.

"Do you have a moment?"

Big brother set his graphics tablet down on the bed and moved to the edge, ready to share her worries or joys with his sister. "Sure," he murmured, and his look of sympathy encouraged Yuri to sit next to him. "Why are you looking like that? Is something wrong?" The expression on Beomgyu's face reflected caring and a willingness to help his sister in any way he could.

Slowly, the girl entered the room, but took a quick glance through the crack to check if her parents were within earshot. But then she closed the door behind her and went to Beomgyu to sit down on the mattress. "I need to talk to someone about this, but mom and dad wouldn't understand," she revealed to him in a whisper.

He nodded, sure it was about her boyfriend, and drew up a leg to wrap his arms around it. "Shoot, is it about your boyfriend?"

Her sad looking eyes stared at the bedspread, then she looked up at her brother. "He's found his soulmate. She's a waitress at a restaurant we went to yesterday."

Surprised, Beomgyu put his hand on her shoulder. "Oh," he squeezed out and rubbed it because she seemed really depressed. It must have scared her to death. So far it was just a drawing on her skin, but when you actually found the one who had the counterpart, it became uncomfortably real. "What do you think about it?"

"I don't know. He said he didn't want to leave me because of it."

A warm smile spread across Beomgyu's lips, relieved that Yuri's friend wasn't reacting as he had feared. "Well, that's great," he said softly as he continued to stroke her shoulder comfortingly. "Besides... I don't think we should let it get to us anyway. Just because it happened to humanity doesn't mean we can only be happy with our soulmate. Life has so many possibilities and surprises in store, even outside of this soulmate story. The important thing is to listen to your heart and do what makes you happy."

Yuri raised her eyebrows, after all, she secretly knew that her brother would react like this. "Can you promise not to tell our parents about this? I don't want to have to have any more discussions."

"As if I would tell them," he grumbled and punched her shoulder. "I'm not in the mood for war." Because Beomgyu knew only too well that his parents would go berserk. Both of them were completely infatuated with the soulmate custom, and the idea that their daughter could not adhere to this social norm would literally send them into a rage. They would probably rage, forbid her to see him or even think about him. It would lead to an outburst that was beyond normality.