31 - Nick's going to love it

"So, how's Nick doing?" Tara asked, once Sarah settled down.

"I actually just spoke to him on the phone." said Sarah as she put her cup down on the table. "He's doing really good. He completed his last interview yesterday and now he just has to work on the last finishing touches. I believe he said he has his last meeting with his coach this Tuesday. He told me about some of the things that he wanted to discuss with his coach. But I won't bore you with that, I'm sure he talked to you about that already."

Charlie just smiled and took another sip of his tea. Casually trying to hide the fact that in contrary to what Sarah believed, Nick hadn't talked to him about that. In fact, they hadn't spoken in weeks.

And he didn't really need anyone to remind him of that. Especially not this weekend. This weekend was about everything except Nick. And Sarah being here, even though he loved her to pieces, really didn't help with that.

"Wait", Sarah continued whilst she reached into the pocket of her coat to grab her phone. "I took the sweetest picture of him and Nellie the other day. I need to show you."

Tara excitedly scooted closer to Sarah, whilst making an 'ooooh' sound. And leaned onto the table so she could look at Sarah's phone.

Charlie didn't want to care about the picture. But something about being this close to seeing something from Nick made him yearn for it. So when Sarah turned her phone to face him he immediately locked eyes with the phone screen. He took the phone out of her hands to get a closer look.

On the picture, Nick was standing in their hallway, with Nellie jumping up at him and him kneeling down to hug and pet her. Next to him was a suitcase and a bag. On top of them he'd placed his camera.

He always wanted to take that camera everywhere, Charlie remembered. He couldnt even remember how many times Nick'd used him as a subject for one of his pictures. There were pictures of Charlie in all sorts of places on there. Beside the camera he spotted a familiar frame. He zoomed in and spotted a pic of him and nick during one of their school trips.

It was still there.

He didn't get rid of it...

"I love that picture of the two of you." Sarah said, which caused him to pop out his train of thoughts.

"He's probably already talked to you about this too," Sarah continued, "but I thought it'd be nice if all his old friends could come to his graduation. It would mean a lot to him, I know."

Tara's smiled brightly. "OMG, yes! That would be such a nice surprise."

"Yeah, that's what I thought," Sarah confirmed. "He's really worked hard for this, and it would be amazing to see all his closest friends there to celebrate with him." She glanced at Charlie, expecting him to chime in.

Charlie, however, kept his gaze fixed on his teacup. A tightness formed in his throat. He hadn't even realised Nick's graduation was approaching, let alone considered attending.

"We'll definitely all be there," said Tara. "Charlie and I could make us a group chat, right Charlie?"

"Uh, yeah, definitely," Charlie replied with a faltered smile. "It'll make it easier to discuss the details."

Sarah beamed, oblivious to the undercurrents. "That's great to hear! Nick's going to love it."