33 - blue and yellow

I love that colour combination, Isaac!" Charlie said as Isaac put his papers down on the coffee table next to him and Sarah. They'd all gathered at Sarah's house to work on the bouquet for Nick.

All of them had picked out their own combination of colours and textures for their flowers. For example, Tara, who was sitting at the dinner table with Elle and Imogen, had picked pink and purple. And Tao, who was sitting at the kitchen island with Darcy, had picked different shades of green. One of them having a shimmery finish.

Sarah looked up from her work and up at Isaac. "Yes, indeed. It looks really good, love,"

"Thank you," he replied. "I thought the blue and yellow worked well together"

"They do," she said, smiling friendly at Isaac. "They complement each other very nicely. It's like they were meant to be together."

"Yes!" Isaac smiled back, before going back to the kitchen table to get some more paper.

"Don't you know what type of flower you wanna make, honey?" Sarah asked Charlie. His eyes were set on the table in front of them and he'd barely touched his paper.

"No...I mean...yes," he stuttered, "I do know what I want to make, I just...don't know where to start."

"Oh, that's okay, love. I can help you," she said, putting her own creative masterpiece to the side. "What did you have in mind?"

"I wanted to make a lily since they're Nick's favourite."

"Oh you're such a sweetheart Charlie," she responded and gave him a side hug.

"Well, you're in luck, 'cause I'm actually making one myself too."

Charlie smiled. Sarah was way too pure for this world. Her character reminded him so much of Nick. They are literally the same person in different bodies. Which, if you look at it from a certain way, they obviously actually are.

"Here, which one of these would you like to be the stem colour?"

"The light green one."

"Okay, take that one and this skewer and roll the paper around the skewer," she explained. "Once you're done with that, you can glue it together and remove the skewer."

Charlie nodded.

"Sarah?" Imogen called from the kitchen, causing both Sarah and Charlie to turn around.

"Yes, love."

"Could you show me how you made the flower again?"

Sarah stood up. "Okay sweetheart, if you go and make the stem, I'll help out Imogen quickly."

Charlie took the skewer and his paper and started twisting it around the skewer. It turned out to be way easier than he expected because he finished the stem within 15 seconds. He reached over to Sarah's side of the table to take the glue.

After carefully gluing everything in place and setting the tube aside, Charlie noticed Sarah's phone lighting up on the table. Someone was calling her.

Curious, Charlie leaned over the table to see who it was.

It was Nick

The boy whose voice he hadn't heard in ages, the boy he missed so much, the same boy who basically told him to fuck off. But also the boy Charlie still hoped to call a friend again—or who knows, maybe something more.

He stared at the phone as it continued to ring, his heart racing. Then, without thinking, he answered the call.

"Hi, mum."

It really was Nick. His voice sounded a lot deeper than Charlie remembered, but it still had that familiar warmth and tone that hit Charlie all the same.

Charlie stayed quiet, trying to take in this moment.

"Mom, are you there?"

"Nick," Charlie whispered slowly, caressing the phone.

"Uhm..mom? Is that you?" Nick replied, sounding confused. "I'm sorry, I can't hear you that well."

Mom?! Charlie snapped out of his trance. I'm not Sarah! Why on earth did I answer her phone? What was I thinking?!

Charlie's innocent yearning for love suddenly turned into panic. And without hesitation, he ended the call.

The phone rang again almost immediately, but this time, Charlie made the wiser choice and left the answering to Nick's actual mother.

"Sarah, Nick's calling you."