14 - soul sister

Continuous knocks erupted me from my strangely pleasant sleep across ricks couch, I let out a small groan before pushing myself up from my sleeping position and into a seated one. The knocks began to rise louder and louder before I finally spoke. "Rick, the door!" I yelled up to the second floor of the Grimes house. Rubbing my eyes and leaning back against the couch cushion until Rick yelled back down to me. "Get it will you? I'm getting dressed I'll be down in a sec,"

I stood up a few seconds after I heard Rick's voice, then walking slow steps towards the front door and turning the door-knob slowly. The person on the other side of the door pushed it open to quicken the process, he stood with wider eyes than usual, gazing towards me with a slightly dropped jaw. "Anna?" Daryl questioned, not taking his eyes off of me for even a second. "What are ya doin here?" He asked, peering over my shoulder to see if he could notice Rick behind me or even in the kitchen.

"Oh.. I just slept on the sofa," I shrugged, my eyes then being drawn to his lips suddenly. He furrowed his eyebrows slightly and then grit his teeth slowly as if my words were a lie.

"Why?" Daryl asked, leaning forward and resting against the door frame.

"Because he offered.. it doesn't concern you" I mentioned, crossing my arms before I heard Ricks voice suddenly speak again and growing louder. I turned around quickly to watch Rick walk slowly down the stairs, pulling his shirt on as he walked. "Who is it?" Rick asked, and I turned back to face Daryl by the door.

"Its just Daryl," I glanced to Rick who was now beside me, "Listen uhm... i'm gonna go home, okay? Probably gonna spend the day with Maggie and try to avoid Deanna so I wont have to do that torturous interview" I sighed, then turning back around and walking to the couch where I slipped my shoes on quickly.

"Anna just go and do it, it doesn't take long and your just being dramatic," Chuckled Rick softly and a smile automatically turned upon my lips. "If you don't do it today then I'll purposely tell Deanna that you haven't had an interview yet,"

I gasped dramatically and replied as I walked back towards Rick and Daryl, "You're evil" I joked before I brought Rick into a quick embrace before bidding goodbye. "See ya later Cowboy," I said to Rick before he let out another small chuckle. "See ya later Princess," He responded with a wink.

I flashed a smile towards the man before glancing to Daryl standing in the doorway with the most bitter frown across his lips and his eyebrows heavily furrowed. "Excuse me," I murmured but he chose to remain still, I let out a scoff before shoving past the arrogant man and exiting the house. Then making my way towards my own house where I was abruptly stopped by an older woman with short brunette hair. I sighed as she called out my name from behind me, knowing exactly who it was and I was dreading the time-wasting moment. "Annabelle Hart?" Spoke Deanna.

I slowly turned around to face her with a fake smile plastered across my lips since I wasn't in the best of moods. "Yeah that's me," I replied. I wasn't avoiding Deanna because I thought the interviews would be a waste of time, I just didn't want to mention my past and my life even before the apocalypse. The struggle of being between jobs for my mother who didn't help herself even once, although I was the one working to pay her expensive medical bills she was still sitting in her armchair smoking and drinking all day while going through chemo.

"Could you spare a few minutes for your interview?" She asked politely, her blue eyes staring at me which then made sure I couldn't refuse.

"I suppose so," I mentioned and she then lead me towards her own house, waving to the people passing by with a large grin. She took me into the living room, telling me to sit down on the old-fashioned floral armchair and saying that it will be recorded. Nerves rising up inside me yet I managed to maintain my smile.