2-Haunting Guilt

Xander was lounging on the long couch when dad and I walked in, plowing through a bag of tortilla chips.

The TV was blaring with loud, violent sounds. I forced my gaze away as a scene displayed the splattered remains of a dead man.

Honestly. How do people watch this?
Dying people was not something that ought to be used as entertainment.
That could have been And...

I stopped myself before I could fall into that dangerous train of thoughts, barely concealing a shiver.

Dad noticed but said nothing. He'd been eerily silent since my slip about Andrew.

Xander glanced our way and said quick greetings, turning to continue his movie. Suddenly, he turned to us again sharply.

"Ooh. Ice cream." he said, eyes shining with glee.

Before I knew it, the sweating bowl was out of my hands.

"Xander. Give it back. I got it for your sister," dad protested.

"I'm sure she doesn't mind. " he said around a mouthful of cream. " Do you, little Elsa? "

I had to stop myself from cringing at that name. Once, I had liked it, fooled into believing I was as beautiful as the Disney character. My over-blonde, technically white hair and pale skin had been enough to make me believe it. Now, it made me feel pity for poor Elsa who had to be compared to someone like me...

Dad parted his lips to reprimand Xander, but I interrupted him.

"It's fine dad. He can have it," I said, exhausted.

Xander flashed me a big smile before falling back into the couch.

Yep. That was my elder brother.That was how childish and insensitive he could get.

Dad's eyes were on me as I shifted from one foot to the other, uncomfortable.

"I-I'll go say hi to mom." And I disappeared out of the room.

I took the stairs slowly, reveling in the silence and seclusion. It was so comfortable that I sighed in satisfaction.

I arrived the door to the master room, the heavy weight that usually accompanied me here returning.

I stood at the door, staring at my mother. She was in her wheel chair, facing the big screen TV that hung on the right wall. I gripped the rim of the door so hard that it hurt.

If you hadn't been such a whining rebel, none of this would have happened...

Ms.Janet, mom's nurse,caught me standing at the door. I pushed away from the doorframe and forced a smile as I walked in.

Mum turned her head at the sound of my footsteps.

"Hey mum," I said as I crouched before her.

"Rachel dear." I saw her fingers wiggle slightly and I took her hand, holding it to my face. She smiled.

"How was the session today?"

"It was fine, mum," I lied. There was no point telling her the truth anyway. She couldn't help me. No one could.

Her eyes grew sad. She knew I was lying. I winced painfully.

I really didn't want her to worry. The doctor said it wasn't good for her.

"How are you feeling today?" I asked in a bid to distract her from worrying.

"I'm fine," she replied. I knew she was lying too. Her condition wasn't getting any better, at all.