4: Merely Acquaintances

As consciousness slowly became familiar to the girl, she felt suspended in a haze of confusion. Her body felt heavier than ever and sluggish as she couldn't feel herself move. Her arm was unable to do so as she realizes that she's in a hospital room.

She awoke with Enid by her side, sleeping on her arm as she tried to move it. When she did, Enid was shocked back to life and hugs Victoria while reciting prayers.

"Thank you, thank you for being alive!" Enid said, hugging her tightly.

"I- can't- feel- my arm!" Victoria wheezed weakly as Enid immediately stood up straight and apologized.

Enid wiped a little tear off her eyes as she explained the aftermath.

"Wednesday's claiming that Rowan's been murdered by a monster and she saw it with her own eyes, but no one really believes her except for me. Even the sheriff questioned her after he found out that you were potentially slipping into a coma near the crime scene because he thought she had something to do with it, but now that you're awake, you can finally make things clear and not press charges!"

"I wasn't going to press charges on anyone..." Victoria said, confused.

She then remembered the events of what happened at the Harvest Festival. The monster's bulging eyes burned her brain as she tried to forget, shaking her head.

"What's wrong?" Enid asked.

"I- Wednesday's telling the truth," Victoria said, her head pounding. "There was a monster. Oh, Enid, poor Rowan. It was horrible, I didn't know what to do- but- but we need to tell the sheriff!"

Enid shook her head gravely. "Victoria, you'll sound like a nut job."

"Why?"

"Because Rowan's somehow alive."

"I- what?" Victoria raised her voice. But before she got any answers, the sheriff walked in with a nurse, looking relieved. Sheriff Galpin seemed tired, as he had dark bags under his eyes. Enid took it as her sign to leave when the nurse nodded her head once at her. Enid patted her sore arm before walking out the door.

"Miss Halliwell," Sheriff Galpin said and seated beside her with the nurse standing next to him.

Even just being called by her last name made her think she was about to dive into hot water.

"I understand that you're an acquaintance of my son, Tyler?" he asked. She nodded. "So I'll tread lightly in this situation. Do you think you're up for some questions I have?"

"Yes."

Pleased, the sheriff continued. "What's the last thing you remember before blacking out?"

She hesitated, but it wouldn't mean much considering she just woke up from what they could believe was a concussion. "I- I thought I heard something in the forest and went to investigate. I think that's what happened because I remember walking into the forest."

"How could you, of all people in the carnival, hear a noise from the forest with all of the music that was going on?" he asked. "I understand that you had some friends with you, why didn't they come along to investigate?"

"I was only with Enid until she went off to get food," Victoria explained, deciding to leave out the part that she came across Rowan and Tyler. "And I wasn't feeling well when I heard a noise in the forest. That's the last thing I remember."

"Is that all that happened?"

"I think so," Victoria said. "But it's come to my attention that there are potential charges that are going to be pressed. I have no intentions on doing so."