16: Fix You

Victoria had not been to Nevermore–let alone, Romania for the past year. For the past year, she'd spent it trying to escape her past once again–a guilty conscience at bay.

She'd been living alone in America since the entire incident. Adjusting to the new country was not as hard as she thought it would be and living alone only made it harder. But since she'd moved into her apartment, her neighbor had been kind and caring to her, reminding her that the past doesn't define who she is–just as she said.

Jericho, Vermont, was just as little as Jericho, Romania–and quieter. She'd found it to be the best place to restart.

Her parents had approved of this independent move, especially because she was now of age in the Wizarding World and non-magical world. Since Kinbott had been murdered, she found a new way to love herself–and it had nothing to do with therapy.

"I miss you so much!" Enid's voice said on the other end of Victoria's phone as she prepared a meal. "There's definitely still some insane things going on at Nevermore, but Wednesday and Xavier are figuring them out."

"What kind of things?" Victoria asked. "Not as bad as the Hyde monster from last year, I hope?"

Enid shook her head. She was painting her nails on the other end of the phone. "No, I don't think so. Honestly, I think Wednesday's still not over the entire Hyde situation since you left."

"I wouldn't be surprised," Victoria said. "You know how she is. But at least she's not hunting me down or thinking of repaying me in my sleep after turning Tyler in."

Enid couldn't help but feel a sense of unsureness. "If you're okay with all of this, why not just come back? Just because no one knows where he is doesn't mean that he's dangerous. Thornhill's dead."

Victoria shrugged. "I like it here. As much as I love you, Enid, I don't think I'd be able to handle another word about how hot Ajax is."

Enid laughed as there was a knock at Victoria's door.

"My neighbor's here for breakfast," Victoria said, turning off the stove.

"Ooh, a date, I'm guessing?" Enid asked with wiggling brows.

Victoria only grinned and said, "Just a late breakfast."

With a laugh, Enid hung up the phone as Victoria neared the door of her little apartment. It seemed like it was more of a date, as she wore a revealing dusty blue dress. Her hair was waved down as she opened her door.

"Hey, neighbor," she said slyly as she looked him up and down. "I made dinner."

He grinned, his smile becoming shy as he looked away with a pink face at her bold attitude. He had red roses in his hand as he stepped into her apartment.

"I was hoping we could go straight for coffee," Tyler suggested as she kissed his cheek.

He was wearing a simple blue dress shirt that matched hers. He had a hopeful smile on his face as she furrowed her brows.

"But you promised I could make breakfast this time," Victoria said defensively. "My cooking isn't horrible, you know."

Tyler cocked his head with thought as he set down the flowers, arm in arm with each other. He had a guessing expression on his face.

"It's getting better," he joked as she scoffed and pushed him away. He then quickly said, "I'm only joking with you."

She went over to the stove and uncovered the pan of freshly baked and fried breakfast.

"See, it's not horrible like the first time," she said.

She felt Tyler's arms wrap around her back as he took in her addicting scent. He'd never gotten tired of her scent, not since the day he met her at the Weathervane. He buried his head in her neck, sending a cold shiver down her back. She wiggled from the stiffness that he caused her as he had a smug smirk on his face.