As I Lay Dying

AN: I do not own anything from the Vampire Diaries except for my OC's which are Elena and Elijah's triplets. 

~~~

Elena immediately felt a familiar presence in her room when she entered. She'd just returned home from Klaus's supposed 'ritual.' The plan had worked. Klaus thought she was dead and she was now safe. One part of the plan didn't work. Bonnie had told Elena that Elijah had betrayed them. And that he ended up saving his brother. Elena couldn't exactly blame him. She would have done the same thing if her little brother was in the position Klaus was in tonight. Turning around to face the familiar presence in her room, she saw Elijah. She felt her body go into an immediate fight-or-flight mode. 

"I know what you must think," Elijah started. Elena backed away as her breathing got heavier and when he stepped closer to her, "What are you doing here?" She asked. 

"I came to apologize," Elijah says , the door creaks slightly open. Elena's aunt Jenna appeared in the doorway. Seeing  her aunt, she ran over to her and pulled her into a tight hug. Jenna happily accepted her niece's hug and started sobbing into her shoulders. Elena looked up slightly and mouthed 'thank you' to Elijah. Elijah nodded then he left the room to leave the two alone for a few minutes. 

After some time, Elena pulled away from the hug and she explained to Jenna that she was probably in transition and in order to complete it, she has to kill a human. Jenna wasn't surprised by that since Elijah had told her what she needed to do in order to complete the transition before the ritual. Another thing Elena had to thank Elijah for. The two women bid each other good night and Elena went downstairs where Elijah was waiting patiently for her on the couch. 

"How is she?" Elijah asked standing up. 

Elena sighs, "In shock. But she'll be okay. Thank you for feeding her your blood before the ritual. I can't help but imagine what Klaus would do to you if he finds out you helped me." 

"You let me worry about my brother," Elijah says, "I never wanted you to get hurt by Niklaus. In fact, I wanted to protect you. You must know that I had no intention of luring Klaus into Mystic Falls." 

Elena nodded. Elijah was the good brother. While Klaus was the evil hybrid, "I should get going before Niklaus begins to wonder where I've gone." Elijah says and he turns to leave the door, but Elena stops him and pulls him towards her. A bit hesitant, she kissed him passionately. Elijah wrapped his hands around her waist and kissed her back. 

~~~

Elena woke up the next morning feeling someone's arm draped over her waist. She turned over and faced Elijah, she smiled. She was a bit surprised that he stayed the whole night but she didn't mind it. She rolled over and propped herself up on her elbows. Elena chuckled when she saw him stir, "Faker. You've been awake this whole time." She laughs. Elijah smirked playfully as he rolled over on his side facing away from Elena. Elena playfully punched him in his shoulder as she stood up from the bed and started getting dressed. 

"Where are you going?" Elijah asked groggily 

"Some of us still have school and a human life to get too." Elena replies with a small laugh, she walks over to the bed and pecks his lips, "Help Jenna today please while I'm gone. I'm sure she definitely heard what we did last night with her new vampire hearing." 

Elijah agreed to help Jenna while Elena was gone for the day. It was the least he could do for her. When Elena left, Elijah snuck out the window without getting seen by Alaric, Jeremy or Jenna. 

Getting to school, Elena met her two best friends, Caroline Forbes and Bonnie Bennett, in the parking lot. Caroline was turned into a vampire last year. Bonnie figured out she was a super powerful witch from a super powerful witch bloodline also last year. And Elena figured out she was a Petrova doppelganger. The whole reason Klaus needed her for the ritual.