Not Guilty

Hello there. 

0o0o

Severus paced around the small hallway. He'd been called in for a meeting with Mr. Eldridge a week after his surprise visit and interview with him and Hermione. While they still saw each other, they agreed to take a step back until things calm down. It was very hard not to touch her when they were talking in his office. However, he had to keep reminding himself that he had to be professional. 

The letter calling him here sounded urgent and important. Although all letters from the board sounded like that. He's been waiting in the hall for over fifteen minutes while Mr. Eldridge talking with the other board members. Severus wanted to get back to the school. Hermione was planning on coming up to talk about her first detention with the June twins. They finally had acted up in her class and she gave them a weeks worth of detention. 

While they weren't going to do anything bad, by the boards standards, Severus wanted to see her. That was the only thing keeping him going is seeing her face every day. He made one more turn, facing the black stone door, when it opened. Mr. Eldridge smiled warmly and ushered him in. "Professor Snape," he greeted as he went back to sit in the middle of a long table. The various members of the board all bore serious faces, some dirtier than others. 

Severus didn't like the looks he was recieving. Nevertheless, he held his head high and sat in the large olive stained wooden chair in the middle of the room. Mr. Eldridge held up a paper and cleared his throat. "Professor Severus Snape, on this day the board of governors convened to discuss the interviews of yourself and Miss Hermione Granger to decide if an inappropriate romantic relationship has taken place. After much discussions, we have decided to remove you from your position of Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and strip you of your teaching degree. We will provide a suitable replacement for the remainder of your teaching year and will regroup after the ceremony to discuss if you will be allowed on the walls of the headmasters office after death."

Severus blinked, unsure if he heard the man right. "Sorry, but what was the verdict on the actual accusation of  the relationship?" he asked calmly. 

Mr. Eldridge searched through the papers, then spoke to an old witch beside him. She muttered something back to him and looked sternly at Severus. He'd had worse stares from Minerva, though. "Uh, we have decided that you are not guilty," he stated. 

Cocking an eyebrow, he looked around the room. "Then why am I being removed as headmaster?" It made no sense if he wasn't guilty. 

"More of a precaution. Mr. Weasley has gone to the Prophet and spoken about this matter. We can't stand by and not do something. Otherwise, people will believe we aren't doing our job." Mr. Eldridge nodded apologetically to Severus. 

Severus glared at the board. "So, you are removing me for publicity reasons?"

Nodding, he grinned. Severus scoffed and left the room without another word. "Utterly useless," he murmured as he headed to the floo. 

Minerva was the only one that knew of the meeting. She had to know to keep an eye on the school. He didn't tell Hermione because he simply didn't need her worrying about him. She was nearing the end of her pregnancy and she didn't need any more stress. 

He stepped into the familiar surroundings of his office and breathed a sigh of relief. Minerva was at his desk writing something. She looked up at him as he turned to her. "Severus, how'd it go?"

"I've been removed as headmaster and teacher." He walked around the room gathering his thoughts. What would he tell Hermione?

She looked shocked and stood up. "What? They found you guilty?"

He shook his head. "No, they don't suspect anything, but Weasley went to the papers, so they had to act."

Minerva exclaimed and crossed her arms. "Utter nonsense," she stated angrily. "Who's going to be headmaster?"

Severus gave her a look. "Oh, please, not me." She must be thinking of the June twins. 

"Sorry," he said. They spoke for another hour before Hermione showed up. When Severus told her, he thought she was going to go through the floo and curse the board. She marched around the office with her face red, yelling insults to the board. 

Severus watched her, unable to calm her down. Finally, when she stumbled, he stepped forward. "Hermione," he said, "calm down."

"Severus, it's not fair. It's stupid," she protested. 

"I know, but I'll be close by. I do own the house at the far edge of Hogsmeade, remember?" He embraced her, rubbing her back soothingly. 

She settled down a little and sighed. "What will you do?"

He shrugged thoughtfully. "Become more invested in my potions, selling them across the country."

Hermione looked down, but Severus lifted her head to look him in the eyes. "Don't worry," he said tenderly. "Just keep cooking our son." He smiled lovingly at her before kissing her softly. 

o0o0o0o

Shorter chapter, but I wanted to get this one out of the way.