Chapter 3

It was Monday morning Hot shot was nervous about going in for his simulation scan. Today his mother was with him. His parents had been taking turns since he was diagnosed with cancer at spending time with him in the hospital. Today was his mother's turn. Hot was wondering what was going to happen and such. Then a couple of clowns came into the room. "Hello I am Dr. Hashtag," the clown said.

"And I am Dr. Pantalones," Dr. Pantalones said.

"Hi," Hot shot said.

"Hot shot look at this," Dr. Hashtag said. She did a magic trick for Hot shot. Dr. Pantalones did a drum roll.

"Ooh," Hot shot said.

"Hey Hot shot look at this," Dr. Hashtag said pulled out a kazoo and maracas. She put the kazoo and in her mouth and began blowing it and shaking the maracas. It sounding really goofy the way she was playing.

Dr. Pantalones was blowing a part blower and while using a spinning noisemaker.

Hot shot smiled at that. "Silly," Hot shot said.

Then she began to pull out a long string of ribbon. It was pulling out of Dr. Pantalones pants. Then a pair polka dot underwear came out. "Hey how did you fish out my underwear?" Dr. Pantalones asked.

Hot shot started to laugh at that. He was very happy. It made him for get about the fear of the simulation scan. It also made him forget about the problems he was having from the lack of balance, the gait issues, the difficultly walking straight and the problems with the seizures. It made him feel like a kid at that moment. It was good to hear him laugh.

Hot shot was soon taken to the radiology department. Hot shot chose to ride in a wagon to get there. It was fun to ride in the wagon. Plus Hot shot still feeling kind of tired. Dr. Hansen said he was going to be kind of tired and sore for a while after surgery. But he was starting to feel a bit better to be honest.

Hot shot saw his friends there in the radiology department when he got there. "Hi," Hot shot said.

"Hi," Hoist said.

"Hello," Medix said.

"Hiya," Whirl said.

"Hello," Wedge said.

Hot shot saw this part of the radiology department was for kids to get radiation therapy. Hot shot was wondering about radiation therapy. Hot shot was watching the video from the imaginary friend society about it. Hot shot was amazed to learn he wouldn't be able to feel the radiation therapy or see it. Hot shot learned about the side effect such as feeling tired, weak, having a sore tummy, having no appetite, and his hair falling out. Hot shot learned his hair usually grows back the same as before.

Hot shot was wondering what it would be like to get his mask. Hot shot met a few other kids in the radiotherapy area. He met a boy named Daryl who had a mask made. He had a brain tumor too. "The mask helps keep your head still so the radiation therapy only goes to the same spot every time," Daryl said. "The mask feels like like soft warm wet towel," he said. "My radiotherapist painted mine to look like my favorite hero Batman." he said.

"Cool," Hot shot said.

A girl named Maddie was talking too. "I made a special gel cushion, it formed in the shape of me so I could stay still during treatment," Maddie said.

"I got to make a special cast of my leg of the same stuffed used to make a mask," a boy named Caleb said. "It will help keep my leg still for treatment," he said.

"I got drawn on," Maddie said. "it is to help the machine get lined up and the radiation to go to the same spot every time," she said.

"I got drawn on too," a girl name Jane said. "They did it on my back because that is where my cancer is," she said.