TWENTY THREE

Clar walked to where  Antonio was seated reading a newspaper as he drank from a long opaque glass. She stopped and took in his form. Antonio had this calm around him when doing his own thing.

Sometimes, at odd times, he reminded her of the tranquility that supposedly clung to her father.

She took a seat opposite him and he lowered then closed the newspaper. Folded and placed it on the table. A warm breeze passed  and she smiled slightly.

"Antonio." She began gently. "Please can I get a job? I don't want to spend hours, days, being idle in your house. I don't like where my idle mind runs off to."

"Where does it run off to Clarina?"He observed her as his face tilted to the side.

"A series of times, I  kept conjuring up ways to hurt you." She smiled sweetly at him and then continued. "But I can't go through with them because I know it won't end well for me."

"Aren't you a smart one?"

Fuck his sarcasm. Clar glared at his innocent-looking face.

" Antonio, can you let me get a job?"

He leaned back in his seat, fingers locked together as he  placed them on the table. "It won't make much of a difference."

"What do you mean by that?" She frowned

"I'm already working for us, baby. What's the point of you working as well?"

Clar processed his words and frowned at them.

"That's very," She didn't know if it was misogyny or sexism. His words didn't sit well with her. "wrong of you to say."

"How so Clarina?" He crossed his legs, getting comfortable.

"Why can't I work?"

"I already work for us."

There it was again.

"Well, I would like to work for myself."

He chuckled at her. "That's not happening."

"Why are you being difficult about this Antonio? It's just working." Her hand fisted beneath the table.

"I don't want you stressing yourself about work Clarina." He paused for a second " You want to earn. Is that it?"

"Yes."Clar sat up with a smile. He was getting it.

"The funds at your disposal aren't enough?"

What funds?

"You mean the card ?" She inquired

He looked at her.

"But that's your card, Antonio. I want to know I'm earning something at least. It's never crossed my mind to stay in a house and do nothing."

"You can start now. Besides Clarina, it's not like you are doing nothing in the house." His tone dropped an octave suggestively.

Clar closed her eyes and tried to calm her thoughts that wanted to be voiced. "Look, Antonio. I just want to work. It's a simple request."

The silence that stretched between the both of them was slightly unnerving but Clar stayed put.

" Want to be my executive assistant?"

Clar opened her mouth and then closed it. Why would he give her such a high-up position? She had no doubt that he already had a well-qualified one.

"Antonio. No." No one was losing their job because of her. That was beside the point.