1| First Day

Lord why me?

Lord why me?

My mother would kill me if she sees how short grandma ivy altered my tunic. In my defense I looked like a catholic student in that dress.

More like a nun, the girl in my head laughs.

Whatever! I roll my eyes inwardly at her.

"Kay!, you're going to be late for your first day at your new school" my mother yells from down the hall.

Yeessss.

New country

New house

And I'm starting a new school in January. Who does that?

In my final term of high school while my preparations for Cxc are underway.

"I'm coming" I try to sound at least a little optimistic.

I lift my purple Kipling bag from the settee to make sure all my go-to-necessities are inside.

Floss? Check

Mini mouthwash? Check

Books? Check

Purple fluffy pencil case? Check

Lipgloss? Check

Why does it feel like I'm missing something? I search diligently through my bag then realize my glasses case is missing.

My eyes roam the room stopping at the desk tucked away in the corner that I use mainly for homework and studying.

The purple case stands out the most. My table is made out of fine oak wood and carved to perfection to fit my taste in furniture.

I would give you a tour of my bedroom but I'm running late.

I grab the case and throw it inside my bag.

My hair is in a low ponytail. They're naturally curly, just not as curly as I would want them to be. More like loose curls.

It's a simple hairstyle for my first day at a new school but I don't know about styling my own hair.

When I finally get to the kitchen my breakfast is already set out on the countertop. I take a seat on the stool and my mother turns to acknowledge me with a mug of freshly brewed coffee in her hands.

"Try to look a little excited" my mother says making a measurement with her thumb and index finger of how little she wants me to show my happiness. I curl my lip into a half smile then relax right back into my resting bitch face.

Oyee! leave dem supm dey home.

Huh? What do you mean?

Try no mek nobody feel we stuck up and try beat we.

We or me?

Same thing, the girl in my head yawns.

She's not a morning person and neither am I.