3| Eye Contact

Cardo and chappa keeps laughing about something with the rest of our track team

Champs coming up and coach has upped our training schedule from twice per week to three times per week.

Man even have us on strict diet.

Jah know.

"One lap around the track then do your stretches"  Coach Wellington says. We no call him dat doh a welly we say stillz.

He keeps checking his watch as if he's late for something or expecting someone.

We position ourselves at the line without the starting blocks. It's about fifteen of us at training today. It's usually twenty but mi no know wey di rest man dem dey.

Welly blows the whistle and we begin to jog around the track.

"Anybody else realize how fast welly a check him watch?" Cardo asks.

"Dawg even the blind man wey does sing can see that" Dwight replies with a chuckle.

"Who.you.mean, Stevie.wonder?" Chappa asks in between taking breaths.

Big ass cyaan keep up.

The top four athletes burst out laughing, we run in groups so only who's in this group would catch the joke.

Cardo almost tripping dwight with his dramatics, running in zigzag.

"Dawg watch way you a run nuh" Dwight jokes, still laughing from chappa's question.

De man issa sample eno.

"No must nigy boy dwight a talk bout" cardo says when he sobers up.

"Dawg you know once ain't no gun man tune mi nah listen it" chappa responds in his usual cold voice.

Real killa.

Dwight is cool. He's one of the best 800m athletes at Kc. He chill with us on a regular pon the school grounds.

As we make our way round the track a brown skin girl approaches the coach.

They both seem to be stunned to see each other. Welly won't stop hugging her.

"Coach hav' a big daughter we no know bout?" Chappa ask. If he did we woulda know, welly tells us everything we're like family.

She looks young too.

Probably his niece.

Mr. Wellington would got to be outta him mind to be a mess round a high school gyal.

Men these days like young meat and the school gyal dem wan man wid money.

The closer we get the better my view of her enhances.

She put away her purple bag next to the coach bag and walk over to the starting line. Welly starts her off and she jogs around the track effortlessly.

Ass jiggling rounda back too.