10| Close Call

"You know if your brother finds out about us I'm dead right?" He says with a sigh

Giggling I said "not before my dad kills you".

"Sweetheart that's not funny" I can see the life draining from his face.

I burst out laughing.

He always had a crush on me but kept it to himself because of my brother. It was only after I professed my love for him only then did he took the risk.

"When are you going to take me out on a date? a real date?" using my fingertips to draw circles around his chest.

"You know I want to more than anything but if the dawgs see us out together it'll reach back to amir you know that" he tells me.

With a heave of breath I nod my head showing that I understand what he's saying but I really wish it wasn't like this.

"Is it because of some brotherly code why you cannot date me?" I ask for clarity.

He shakes his head.

"We're not allowed to date each other's family members. No siblings or close relatives like cousins" he states.

"Damn" I murmur.

"If a code is broken there's a punishment we must endure and trust me you wouldn't want me to endure it" he peers down at me looking deep into my dark brown eyes, the soft vulnerability within them makes my eyes water.

"D-Death?" I ask in a shaky voice.

"Nahh but you'd wish you were afterwards" he answers.

There is so many things I want to say to him but I know my brother and wholeheartedly I know my father too. If that's a code they live by then I'll have to let him go.

I rather see him in good health and faith than to be the cause of his demise.

His phone starts to ring across from us.

He stretches his arm to collect it watching the caller ID before answering. Throughout this act I can feel his heartbeat picking up its pace after viewing the caller ID.

It's my brother.

I try not to even breathe too loud.

"Yeah bro?" He answers.

The volume is up so loud that I can hear my brother's voice and his words clearly.

"Way yuh dey?" He asks.

"Home a chill, sup'm happen?" He replies.

"Me a try locate serenity. She tell me she dey a road with two of har friends but me know kaylani dey a Montego Bay and Asmara cross a Sam yard. She no hav no more friends than that" we both stare at each other with wide opened eyes.

"You tried pinning her location?" He asks amir.

Amir exhales "yeah but she turned it off and me a try call her phone but it a go straight voicemail".