Eight: Loving Blame

Kristyne's cheeks were hurting from laughing and smiling for so long. She had been at Starfall for a fortnight, enjoying time with Ardyn and his wife, Lady Braila. They were both ten years her senior, which meant they were old enough to share a sense of humor and allow her to swear and joke like a sailor.

"You spend too much time with warriors, Cousin. A proper lady would be appalled to hear your words," Ardyn laughed.

"Hm, I am no proper lady. I spend my time with knights and sailors on Dragonstone. Jacaerys and Lucerys think it improper for me to speak as such, so here is where I can let loose. Too bad it is only once a year."

Braila grabbed Kris' hands with a smile. "I know I have asked you before, but come live here! You could be free to marry who ever you please and you'd be out of reach from Green vipers. We love it when you visit, Kristyne."

"My place is with my brothers and Rhaenyra. My support is with her, and I have no desire to marry so it is not like I could carry on the Dayne blood."

"Which is a blessing, we do not need any gremlins around here," Ardyn teased.

Kris punched his shoulder with a laugh. "You ass."

"You call that a punch? Daemon must be teaching you how to punch like a child."

"Daemon has won many battles, Cousin. Remind me how many you have won?"

Braila snorted and set her drink down. Kris finished her second goblet, feeling slightly tipsy. "We will never stop trying, Kristyne."

"I appreciate that. There may come a day when I will need solace here. Westeros is on the brink of war, we all feel it. Rhaenyra can stay on the island for only so long. Viserys will die, and Alicent will find a way to take the throne."

"Why do you wish to be mixed with that, Kris?" Ardyn asked. "I saw Qoren Martell just last week and he has already said he will swear neutrality if a war is started. You would be safe here, Kristyne."

"They are my family as well, Ardyn. The lives of my brothers are at stake, the Greens will not stop until the boys are dead. To them, bastard bloodshed is no loss at all. I love them, and I shall fight for them. It is what my father would have wanted. One day you will be the Lord of Starfall when Uncle Arthur has passed, you will have too many tasks to worry about me."

"If the Greens were to hurt you, my heart would be compelled to go against my lord and join just to aid you. Kristyne, we are talking about a war of dragons. Aemond tried to kill you once before as a child, who knows what he would do as an adult."

Kris smiled at Ardyn. "Your concern is touching, truly. But I am seventeen now, and this is a decision I have made and I understand the consequences of these actions. I also believe they killed my father. They had the most to gain from it. Alicent's father would be hand again and she could rid herself of the man helping make bastards."

"Some have also claimed it was Daemon to get with Rhaenyra."

"I do not believe that, Ardyn. I have met him, I know him. He is rough around the edges but has love in his heart. I see it when he smiles at her and holds the children. He shows it in his way," Kris explained to Ardyn.

"Darling," Braila sighed, "We worry that they treat you as an outsider, like you are not one of their own. As if you are just a lost dog they kept out of pity."

"Braila!" Ardyn groaned. "That is not what I said!"

"Out of everything I have told you, that is what you have deduced?" She scoffed.

"Not in a bad way! They have dragons, Kristyne. Won't Rhaenyra expect you to marry to form an alliance? We do not mind her," Ardyn argued. "I wish I could give her my gratitude personally for adopting you as one of her own. She helped you during a very dark time for you and she has kept your secret."