Ten: Trials and Tribulations

Kristyne ran after that

Kristyne ran after that. She spent the rest of the day hiding in the gardens, trying to forget the way his violet eye stared right at her. There was still the same hatred in his eye six years later.

The following morning, Rhaenyra braided her long hair to the side. Everyone was quiet, their nerves speaking loud in the silence. She stood next to Jace and Luke, both waiting for the word that the Throne Room was ready. Young Aegon and Viserys were left with Joffrey in the care of their maids and nannies.

Once word was given, they walked the halls together in silence. Lucerys grabbed her hand and she looked at him. "Remember what I said, hold your head high. You are Lucerys Velaryon, and you are still half Targaryen. Vaemond does not want to hurt you, not truly, he just wants the Driftwood throne."

"And I do not, so let him have it!"

"If you give it up, that will cause more arguments," Jacaerys whispered.

They reached the Throne Room and took their spots. Now Kristyne felt out of place. There were multiple Lords and Ladies there, but she was standing with the Targaryens. She was not the only brown-haired one with Rhaenyra, but she had no Valyrian blood.

Otto was sitting on the Throne with his Hand pin, an insult that made Kristyne scowl. He had not wasted any time taking that role back from her grandfather mere hours after word of his death.

Alicent soon followed, her children right behind her. Helaena and Aegon came in first, Aemond right behind him. She sucked in a breath and looked away. She placed her hands in front of her, smoothing her dress out.

She was careful with her dress choice, choosing one that was primarily blue with some purple undertones. Blue was a significant choice for two reasons; blue was one of the main colors for House Strong, but it was also the Velaryon color.

As Otto began to speak, Luke reached for her hand.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters. The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon."

"My Queen. My Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

Kristyne tilted her head, something about Vaemond's voice sounding familiar.

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition," Rhaenyra spoke.