Eleven: The Black Council

The worst part of Kristyne's visions was that she swore she'd never divulge too much information. She allowed small things, like telling Rhaenyra that both her past pregnancies had been boys. But it was mostly Rhaenyra who had told her that she did not want to know too much, for she did not want to spoil her future.

She hadn't told anyone she'd seen Viserys' death. And it had not stopped there.

Screaming. So much blood. More death.

That vision was far more vague, she could not see who died or who was screaming.

It had been four days since they'd returned home, four days of a silent war in her head. She wished she could tell someone, she wished she could tell Rhaenyra.

She ended up changing her mind. The threat of Aegon taking the throne was too great.

"Rhaenyra," Kristyne entered the room, interrupting her moment with Lucerys. "I know you told me you wish not to hear too much of the future, but this is too grave, Mother. Viserys will die and Aegon will take the throne!"

Rhaenyra looked between Lucerys and Kristyne. "Kristyne, have you ever had one that never came to fruition?"

Kristyne shook her head. "They have all come true."

A guard entered the room. "Princess Rhaenys has just arrived on dragonback. She urgently requests an audience with you and Prince Daemon."

Kristyne looked at Rhaenyra. "Mother, please!"

"Both of you must leave the room. Kristyne, we will speak after. Go train with Jacaerys, you are both missing your scheduled time."

Luke grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the room. She stood firm, standing behind the closed door. "Kris, we need to go."

"I need to hear, Lucerys."

She pressed her ear against the door, trying to listen in.

"Viserys is dead. I grieve this loss with you, Rhaenyra. My cousin, your father... possessed a kind heart. There is more. Aegon has been crowned as his successor."

Kristyne backed away from the door. "I should have warned her sooner, this is my fault."

Lucerys had already left, leaving her alone with her tears. She sat on the stone, letting the tears fall down her cheeks. The guilt started ripping her chest apart, creating a new pain: guilt and shame.

Moments passed before Rhaenyra started screaming in pain. Midwives ran past her to enter the room and the screams became louder. She got up and stood in the doorway, seeing Rhaenyra with blood on her hands.

"Is it the babe?" Kristyne asked.

Rhaenyra looked up at her and nodded. Kristyne had been with her while she had her last two children, training with the midwives in hopes of learning. She knew one day her brothers' wives would have babes of their own and she always wanted to be there to help.

As they walked to the birthing chambers, Rhaenyra grabbed her hand. "You were right. I did not want to believe you after Alicent and I reached an understanding before our departure, but it was all a farce."

"I am so sorry," Kristyne frowned. It was far too early for the babe to come.

"Rhaenys, I need the boys!" Rhaenyra cried. After getting her dressed into a birthing shift, Jacaerys and Lucerys arrived. "Your Grandsire, King Viserys, has passed."

"Viserys?"

"The Greens have repudiated the succession and claimed the Iron Throne. Aegon has been crowned king."