21

"So everyone is on that loco treasure hunt," Mirana says to Tim as she scrolls through her Instagram feed

"So everyone is on that loco treasure hunt," Mirana says to Tim as she scrolls through her Instagram feed. "What are we doing?"

"We are doing our regular jobs," Tim says, drumming his fingers against the wheel. "Lawrence is the Sergeant involved with that madness"

"I haven't heard anything from Wendy in a few weeks," Mirana says to Tim. "I'm worried about her"

"Exams are coming up," Tim says. "She's probably taken on more to help students revise"

"Maybe," Mirana nods as her phone starts ringing. "It's the nanny. Hey Allison you're on speaker"

"Hi, I've been told to call you by DCFS because they couldn't get a hold of you," Allison says, causing Tim and Mirana to frown. "Sally Rhodes was found unconscious in her home from a suspected stroke, you're Elina's next of kin"

"Thanks, Allison," Mirana says. "I'll call them now"

"Alright bye!"

Mirana ends the call as Tim pulls the car into an almost empty lot.

"Tim, Sally could die," Mirana says, glancing at her fiancé whose face is unreadable. "If we don't take Elina in, she'll-"

"Be back in the system," Tim finishes and Mirana nods.

"If I let her go back there- If I fail her again-" Mirana bites her lip anxiously.

"What do you want to do?" Tim asks Mirana.

"We can give her a good home Tim," Mirana says. "Is that something you'd want?"

"It's your choice," Tim says, taking Mirana's hand into his own. "Elina is your child-"

"Who'll be living with us full time," Mirana says.

"And I'm fine with that," Tim says. "I figured it was an eventuality. Are you okay with that?"

"I can't put her back in the system again Tim," Mirana shakes her head. "I did it once when I was a teenager and scared. I'm not either of those things anymore"

"Then call DCFS and tell them we'll take her in. Let me get Sergeant Grey on a private channel," Tim says, brushing his lips across Mirana's knuckles before he grabs the radio. "Bradford for Grey, go to channel 9"

"Go for Grey,"

"We've just got a call from the nanny, Elina's adoptive mother has died and DCFS wants to see us as soon as possible," Tim says into the radio.

"Alright, you two take the rest of the day and keep me updated if you're gonna need more time off,"

"Will do," Tim says, placing the radio down and turning to Mirana. "Alright, we need to go back to the station so I can get changed and put my duty belt in my locker. You call DCFS and set up a meeting"