CHAPTER FIVE

The next morning, the girls got ready and went to the dining room for a quick breakfast before school.

Nervousness danced around in Alejandra's stomach as she ate. There was going to be a bunch of kids there, and she wasn't sure she was ready.

"Come on, before we're late!" Her friend tugged her arm as they walked out the door.

-------

As Alejandra stepped into the bustling corridors of Midtown High School, nerves tingling with anticipation, her friend looped her arm through hers, a comforting gesture amidst the sea of unfamiliar faces.

It wasn't like she cared what people thought of her. It's more so that she hasn't been around so many people in a while. Also, she hated school. Thankfully, she wouldn't be here that long.

After the two went to the front office, Lily grabbed the girls schedule, her brows furrowing slightly. A sigh escaped her friend's lips.

"What's wrong?" Alejandra asked.

"We don't have the first three classes together." She murmured, her tone apologetic.

Alejandra's heart sank at the news. She really didn't want her friend to leave her side and have to sit with some random kid for an hour for each class.

"I guess we'll meet up at lunch?"

Lily rolled her eyes. "Duh! I'll walk you to your first class, but you might have to ask someone for help for the second one."

Alejandra grumbled. "Why?"

"Well..." Lily said sheepishly. "I have a free period after this and I have to meet up with Rachel and come up with a plan for robotics club since I won't be there until you leave."

"Robotics club?"

She grinned. "Yeah, I'm the co leader!"

"Cool."

Lily snorted at her friend's curt replies. She knew the girl cared, but didn't always express it well, especially if she was uncomfortable.

The two girls kept walking when a cheerful voice called out Lily's name.

"Lily, wait up!"

Who would be so peppy at five in the morning?

Alejandra turned around to see a brunette girl running up to them. She was wearing a pink knit sweater with a white button up underneath, a black skirt, and medium length black boots.

It definitely screamed sophisticated.

'Cute outfit.' Alejandra thought. That's how she would like to dress if could afford to.

"Hey Rach!" Lily exclaimed hugging the girl.

The girl giggled and then noticed Alejandra standing there quietly.

"Oh, who's this?" Rachel asked, giving the girl a wave.

Alejandra nodded her head in greeting, but remained silent.

Lily chuckled and wrapped an arm around the girl. "This is Alejandra! She's new."

"That's a pretty name!" Rachel admired. "Got a nickname?"

"No."

"Oh!" Rachel chuckled albeit awkwardly. "No worries, Alejandra is perfect. Nice to meet you."

"Same." Alejandra responded, the corner of her lips raised slightly.

"Uh, I'm gonna show her where her class is." Lily spoke up, breaking the sudden silence.
"I'll meet up with you later Rachel, okay?"