CHAPTER TWELVE

Alejandra let out a gasp as she awoke, the memories of last night coming back to her. She looked around. So, this was Bucky's apartment? It was old for sure and not homey at all but she knew it probably wasn't his choice.

Soft clattering drew her attention, and she cautiously emerged from the room. Bucky was in the kitchen, preparing food she assumed.

"Sit." He commanded, not even looking up as he continued cooking.

Alejandra obeyed without hesitation, gratitude shining in her eyes as he placed a plate in front of her. It wasn't much, but it was sustenance, and she devoured it gratefully.

As she finished, Bucky's gaze turned piercing, his blue eyes locking onto hers. "Who are you?"

Much to her dismay, her eyes slightly widened in surprise. She was supposed to be calm and collected. "What?"

"Your eyes." He stated bluntly, his tone unwavering. "I saw them."

Damn. She forgot about that.

"My- my eyes?" She echoed, feigning confusion. "What do you mean?"

Bucky's gaze didn't falter. "I'm not blind, kid." He retorted, his tone firm.

With a resigned sigh, Alejandra fiddled with the cup in her hand, searching for the right words. "I don't know if you'll believe me..."

"Try me."

"Do I have to?" She almost whined.

Bucky rolled his eyes at the childish behavior. Well, she was one he supposed. "If you want more food, you will."

Alejandra pouted. "Well that's just mean. You invited me here." She countered, slightly petulant.

He crossed his arms, and Alejandra sighed, relenting.

"Okay, fine." The girl began. "My name is Alejandra and...I'm no one important, really. I was just born with it-these powers, I mean. My parents tried to keep me hidden but then they were in an accident a couple of years ago and I've kinda been on my own since."

He was silent for a moment before he spoke. "You know, there's an orphanage thirty minutes away."

"Well, I did go to one in New York for some time..." Alejandra admitted, her voice trailing off.

"What did you do?" Bucky pressed, his gaze sharp.

Alejandra crossed her arms as well. "Why do you think I-

He gave her a look trying to appear as intimidating as possible. She wasn't that scared though and played along.

"So, you haven't heard?" Alejandra asked tentatively, hoping the incident hasn't spread yet or at all.

"If I did, would I ask?"

That was karma, she figured.

"Right." Alejandra muttered, taking a deep breath. "I'm kind of on the run."

She noticed how he tried to keep his expression neutral, but she saw see the wariness on his face.

"From who?"

"Uh, so I, um, tried to help, so I used my powers, but something went wrong, and they saw me, and I ran because-