CHAPTER TEN

The two girls stumbled slightly as they landed in their shared room in the orphanage. Alejandra wasted no time in grabbing her bag and hastily stuffing all of her belongings in it. It wasn't much, just some clothes that would fit as well as her journal.

"Ally, what's happening?!" Lily watched, confusion and panic evident in her face.

Alejandra didn't respond, as she looked around the room for anything else she might need. Right, essentials like her toothbrush and stuff like that were probably a good idea to pack.

"Ally, stop!" Lily grabbed her arm.

Alejandra paused and looked up at the girl, the tears starting to roll down her cheeks. "I can't. I have to go."

"Go where?" Lily sighed, her voice gentle again seeing as her friend was upset.

"What we talked about."

Lily shook her head, puzzled. "But, why? we still have some time."

"No, we don't." Alejandra muttered. "I don't."

"Ally, what happened?" Lily's concerned deepened.

Alejandra averted her gaze from Lily's soft gaze. "I think I did something bad."

"Tell me."

A sad chuckle left her lips, her voice trembling as she spoke. "I lost control of my powers. You were right. There was this guy-he was controlling these prisoners who escaped and had them start attacking the city. You know the avengers showed up and-and I thought I could help...I killed him."

She observed Lily's eyes slightly widened, feeling a pang of concern that her friend might be afraid of her.

"Um, well..." Lily began. "He was a bad guy, right?"

"Well, yeah." Alejandra nodded meekly.

"So, what's the problem, then?" Lily shrugged with a small smile as if not understanding the gravity of the situation.

"The problem is that I'm pretty sure the Avengers don't straight up just kill bad guys. They try to apprehend them first, right?...especially in public. People saw me Lily, and who knows if someone recorded everything! The Avengers looked at me like I was gonna do the same to them."

"But, you wouldn't." Lily said, trying to comfort the girl.

"It doesn't matter what we think. Now, I'm most likely on the Avengers radar, and would probably be on the governments too." Alejandra said, zipping her bag and slinging it over her shoulders. "I have to leave now."

Her friend sniffled, tears streaming down her face, and went to the desk, opening the drawer and pulling out her computer.

"What are you doing?" Alejandra asked.

Lily handed the girl her computer. "Take it. It has the directions and the times in case you forget."

Alejandra nods and smiled weakly. "Thanks."

Lily smiled and hugged the girl whose eyes widened slightly. It was weird; Alejandra used to enjoy being around people, but she never really gave physical affection. Her old friend Lola didn't care and always hugged the girl. And now, Lily.

"Bring it back though." Lily pointed out with a grin. "I have some games that I need to see the ending too."

Alejandra wasn't so sure if she even would anyomore.

She nodded. "I will."

Lily sighed and plopped down on her bed. "Well, I'll see you later."

"Yeah." Alejandra said before grabbing a hoodie and putting it on. As she was about to walk out of the door, she remembered something and turned around, watching as Lily looked at her confused.

"What's up?" Lily asked.

"The Avengers might've saw you with me." She explained.

"Shit! You're right!" Lily exclaimed, putting her head in her hands. She looked up with fear etched onto her face. "What do I do?!"

"Listen. If they find you, they're most likely gonna ask you questions. I really need you to lie, Lily."

"Oh, god!" Lily repeated over and over. "I can keep secrets better than the average person, but keeping it from the Avengers?! I don't know Ally. What if they torture me?!"

Alejandra sighed. "They won't torture a kid. Or anyone...I think. But, they might try to scare you."

"This isn't helpful!"

Alejandra walked over to the girl, placing her hands on Lily's shoulders. "Think of it like a mission, okay? I'm taking the computer, so they won't find any information there. I just need you to do your best. Tell them...tell them I left the country to find my family."

Lily groaned, unsure if she could handle this. "And what about your superpowers?"

"I didn't give you much information on them. Tell them what you know. But whatever you do, do not mention the Winter Soldier, got it?"

"But what if!-

"They don't know that I know him, so it's highly unlikely they'll ask. Everything else is up to you to do your best."

"Okay."

With that, the two said their goodbyes again and Alejandra left the room, shutting the door behind her.